Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bluegill576

Weekly Fly Tying Contest #5

Here is week #5. Now is the time when midges are most fished so i picked that fly for this week. Tie any midge pattern. Post a picture of the fly halfway done, a picture of the fly finished, the recipe of the fly, and the name. Enter your fly by thursday night at 10pm EST. Good luck.

Hello guys

It's been awhile since I last posted, but here's a pattern that works for me. Hope you like.

Thanks bluegill576, excellent idea.

Buzzer midge variant

Hook: Allen hooks 2302 #16

Thread: Black Danville's 70 Denier

Beads: Black and Chartreuse glass beads

Tail: White antron yarn

Gill: White antron yarn

Body: One strand of sulky holoshimmer dark olive

Rib: One strand of sulky holoshimmer chartreuse

Coat body with clear varnish

post-29687-0-62526400-1325486576_thumb.jpg

post-29687-0-22959800-1325486612_thumb.jpg

post-29687-0-08919700-1325486650_thumb.jpg

post-29687-0-03933200-1325486685_thumb.jpg

All of you who said you wanted to participate in the past week or two, here is your chance!!! Hopefully there will be more people before voting ends tomorrow.

All of you who said you wanted to participate in the past week or two, here is your chance!!! Hopefully there will be more people before voting ends tomorrow.

i would participate if it was salmon flies, classic wets, or streamers, i don't tie any of the types of flies that you have had contests for

i would participate if it was salmon flies, classic wets, or streamers, i don't tie any of the types of flies that you have had contests for

ok ill do one of those in the coming weeks. its hard to have something that everybody ties but suggestions like these help. :)

ok ill do one of those in the coming weeks. its hard to have something that everybody ties but suggestions like these help. :)

ok, thanks i will be sure to enter a fly into the contest

OK I made it in this time...

This weeks contest is another type of fly I rarely tie - a midge, after last weeks emerger that I said I would try but never got to. So I decided I would combine the two and tie a midge emerger.

I guess I would call this an olive midge emerger.

Pattern

Hook - Orvis big eye size 20

Thread = 6/0 bright olive green

tail = cream polypro

body = olive haretron

wing cases = white closed cell foam

In progress:

midgeemergerhalfway.jpg

Completed.

midgeemergerfinished.jpg

All comments/critiques welcome.