Fly Tying
planettrout

For those who tie "TINY"...

Is breaking strength really that much of an issue?? I honestly can't remember the last time I broke thread. I certainly have accidentally cut it (more often that I want to admit) but using mostly 6/0 - 14/0 breaking just has not been a problem.

For anyone interested in "stomach" thread, Joann Fabric sells something called bulk nylon that is very similar to Uni Stretch (which I'm assuming is very similar to stomach thread). It comes in very big spools in a large variety of colors for about $4. I have been using it to build up bodies on some caddis pupa patterns and it works great.

http://veevus.dk/en/content/6-retailers <These are the listed retailers. Only problem is my icelandic languages have become a little rusty.

Just for laughs type "For those who tie "Tiny"" into Google. You have been busy planettrout :), ou also have some nice midges on your blog.

FishDragon,

Like any other products, if there is an "interest in and demand for", they will eventually find their way into the distribution chain here in the US. Umpqua has gotten into the competition hook game and Hareline has started distributing products that were only, until recently, available in UK shops or on the continent. My local shop, Bob Marriott's in LA, carries many products one just won't find online or in other shops - in the US. When I first ordered the Tiemco 16/0 thread through them, they did not have it on their stock list. It is now.

Those midges I am tying, at the moment, use Tiemco 16/0 almost exclusively. I am fortunate enough to have many online friends in Europe who are tiers, so obtaining some of this product, in the next few months, should not present a problem. I fish mainly tail waters here in CA, small patterns are a must in my boxes...I look forward to an opportunity to try this product out because the color range is greater than Tiemco (presently)...come to think of it, I am always lookin' for new and innovative materials for this obsession... :lol:

PT/TB

and i appreciate all of your effort in finding new materails for tyers to tie with.

i might break my thread once or twice a years so the breaking strenght has no relevance to me. its always my fault, not the threads.

Veevus thread is now available in the US through Performance Flies...

http://www.performanceflies.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=151

They also have some other interesting tying materials that are only available through this company...

PT/TB ;)

And? Never did hear a review from four months ago. Lot's of good threads out there. What makes this one distinctive? I do like the fact that it is cheaper than Benecchi, but color choices are still pretty limited.

For the really tiny ones (#30-32) I use to "make" my own thread. 4-5 filaments separated from a GSP thread, waxed and a little bit twisted... 4-5ft on a little spool. Just like spiderweb (and not Danville's 30 denier version ;)) and strong enough to tie with.

www.flymart.ca has been selling it for a while. Not sure in what colors or sizes but I may pick up some and give it a try.