Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Njardar

Fly Tying and Dogs

My lab is doing whatever I am. Either going to work, fishing or tying. He's going on 7 and has never chewed anything and that applies to tying materials. He'll sit and watch, but with two of my three bedrooms being dedicated to tying, the "smell" of it doesn't really phase him so he could care less. He only wakes up when I open a beer and he knows he gets a sip.

But with so much Flashabou floating around my house, often enough he'll get a strand or two of Flashabou down with a rawhide or stuck on a ball he's chasing and it'll go down...and a day or two later...come out. Sometimes I have have to...."help"....it out for him. But he's my best buddy, so I don't mind. I just keep a paper towel close at hand and it's part of it.

That's my old tying bud in my Avatar, sitting next to the tying bench in my man cave. I loved to torture him with my rooster capes, and his favorite tying material, the hare's mask. He died last year, I still love tying, but its not the same without my assistant.

Tom

My black lab could care less when I tied, but if someone came to the shop he was right there ( just lost him in nov.) His pal though was another story. every day he would come in looking for my lab to play with and would visit me while tying. never ate a fly but would check them out.

post-624-0-90123900-1326542399_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-99524800-1326542373_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-42726400-1326542340_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-87524600-1326542313_thumb.jpg

Max, my 111 pound, goofy white lab, and best friend ever pretty much follows me everywhere and anywhere, but he takes a special shine to my fly tying. He is very intrigued by what could possibly be making my hand spin to darn fast! Fortunately i taught him well enough not to get into hides when i started tanning them so that the Borax didnt make him sick. So he doesnt really get into my materials ever, but just earlier today i tied a fly with all the hair he sheds! He will be forever with me now, haha.

This is a picture of Max and his fly.

post-37686-0-28100100-1326767411_thumb.jpg

post-37686-0-47957300-1326767475_thumb.jpg

My black lab could care less when I tied, but if someone came to the shop he was right there ( just lost him in nov.) His pal though was another story. every day he would come in looking for my lab to play with and would visit me while tying. never ate a fly but would check them out.

post-624-0-90123900-1326542399_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-99524800-1326542373_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-42726400-1326542340_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-87524600-1326542313_thumb.jpg

Is that a buttercup hen? I had a few of those once, they are the sweetest hens to ever lay an egg!

I spent the day with some friends dying rabbit strips a dozen different colours, only to come home the next day to find that the dogs had broken open my office door, and helped themselves to much of the rabbit. My living room looked like someone had murdered the easter bunny. Much of it was saved, but it did suffer from the drool test. At least my dye didn't run.

Those 5 hunting dogs have kept me in a lifetime supply of pheasant feathers, so i guess we're even.....

Then...

P1030406.jpg

And now

DSCF0252.jpg

He sits at the back door, and if you leave it open he will make way back to the tying room to make a marrabou donation