Fly Tying
tmatt26

EP baitfish

Try reverse tie-ins. Long side of hair over the hooke eye, shorter side to the rear; then bind the long hair back and blend in with brush,velcro... Use clear goo on the front top to keep the curved back line of your choice.

Rocco

Rocco you are right. I just tied it in reverse style and blended with a mustache comb. I run them under running water and it pulls the fibers back fairly well.

post-37944-0-06960300-1329527989_thumb.pngpost-37944-0-06960300-1329527989_thumb.pngI attempted a few of these. Do you taper the fibers before you tie on the hook or do you just trim them at the end? My first couple didnt really have that nice tapered look that yours did. These last two look a bit better . What about fouling? I could stiffen them up with a bit of softex but dont want to kill the wavy action .post-37944-0-54729800-1329528298_thumb.png

post-37944-0-67976400-1329528241_thumb.png

Nice EP minnows, remember sparse is the key...Just been fishing some EP ties for the last few months in the salt and they do foul a little when doing long casts in wind which requires you to stroke the fibers or comb them again even give them a trim, also leave your box in the wind for a day open and you will have a great big ball of EP fiber with eyes on it which once again requires the comb.

I took some of them down to the neighborhood pond to see how they looked and I'm pretty sure they will catch once the water temps go up enough for fish to chase flies. They were surprisingly foul free. I mean they tangled a little bit but no more than any other fly. I'm totally new to tying and am doing everything by trial and error- and what I picked up here. Was hoping to take a class but got cancelled due to lack of intrest. I can't wait for spring!

I gave this a shot today :D Panfish/shad-esque shape (tall, skinny)

dscf2338f.jpg

I colored it using a black sharpie.

What kinds of markers do you use to draw up patterns and color on your EP fiber fish patterns? I've been thinking of picking some up. The other "permanent" markers I've used on other flies and materials seemed to wash off quite a bit when fished (seemed like a michael's generic brand of sharpie competitor if I remember correctly)

I've been scouring the internet for more info on EP fiber tying for the past few days, and I wanted to ask you guys a question:

How many of you regularly fish 'em, and how many of you are just tying them?

I can't find many fishing reports after a day of using EP fiber streamers, and even fewer pics of someone landing a fish with an EP fly in the mouth.

These flies look awesome, but how do they compare to more traditional bass and pike flies (or when used for other species as well) regarding number of strikes and fish boated?

I'm counting the days for pike opener, I'm more excited about this pattern than any other for my first attempt at chasing pike on the fly.

They work well for me in both fresh and salt. They are better in shallow water for sure. They sink slowly and usually get hit on the drop. If you're fishing deep a clouser or jiggy is probably a better bet. I suppose you could wrap some lead wire around the hook shank to make em sink but I haven't tried it yet.

I definitely catch fish with them and if I am fishing them in shallow or clear water I do tie them sparsely. But when I am fishing them twenty feet down in discolored water I tie them with a lot more material. I fish them weighted so I get a faster drop rate and I'm usually fishing them on a depth charge shooting head.