Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Markbob

Going to PA

If you're going to be in Hamburg then take a lot of money. The big Cabela's store is right there.

You can be in the Allenberry piece of Yellow Breeches in about an hour-and-fifteen-minutes from Hamburg if the traffic isn't too bad on the interstates. I live about 15 minutes from it. You will have company. I've been in the Boiling Springs fly shop exactly once. Maybe the people working there were having a bad day or something, but I have no desire to go back. Clark's is another 45 minutes or so beyond that. You will have other good opportunities closer to where you are, as others have said.

The bass fishing in the Susquehanna has gone into the sh*tter big-time. This year for the first time, the law says we are not even allowed to "target" bass from 01 May to 15 June. There are still bass in the river, and some big ones. Winter is a very difficult time to go after them.

On Thursday nights through February at the Harrisburg BPS, we do "advanced" fly tying seminars with Bobby Clouser Jr, and it is a lot of fun. If you're going to go to Bob Clouser's fly shop in Highspire, call ahead of time because from what I've been told he's only open on an irregular basis, if he's there. He's a great guy if you can meet up and talk with him. Sincerely loves to teach people what he knows. Same with Bobby Jr, who runs the Fly Shop inside BPS.

I really want to check out Bob's shop but it will be completely dependent on whether or not I have time. If it looks like I'm gonna have a day off, I'll post up here and see if anyone is available to meet up.

Wading is allowed on the little lehigh in the --Heritage Section-- which is now just a fly fishing only section

That's right...I forgot about that, couldn't remember why I stopped heading up there. My buddy that lives less than 5 minutes away just told me it "blows" since the wading restriction was lifted..... I can only imagine what the Deep Wading Association has been up to. LOL!!

I didn't say it "blows", you said your buddy did........all I was saying is that just because you can wade there now, does not mean that it "blows"

I didn't say it "blows", you said your buddy did........all I was saying is that just because you can wade there now, does not mean that it "blows"

Got it. Thank you for clarifying.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree about how wading has affected the overall experience of that short stretch. Regardless, I will never wade that section even though it is allowed......your still remembered Mr. Leisenring!!

LLH streatch has blowed for years since it silted in, used to be deeper and with better fish. I have fished it since 1967..

LLH streatch has blowed for years since it silted in, used to be deeper and with better fish. I have fished it since 1967..

That's right!! And lets not forget about the signs that are on the trees:

CAUTION FELLOW ANGLERS - This River has been found to have very high levels of E. Coli Bacteria

I guess the sewer lines that were put in years ago aren't doing so good today.

MarkBob.......don't fish the little lehigh, because it blows............

Myself nor my friend said the the river itself blows. It was in reference to what used to be the heritage section, and how the wading has effected the experience in that section. I'm sure you've seen people on the LL or other streams wading where they should be fishing, standing on top of fish, etc...

and I guess since wading is the issue........most, if not all of PA waters blow........that is ridiculous......

I never stated I had an issue with the act of wading. The LL was a great change of pace. Trying to sneak up on trout close to the bank. Getting the right stance and figure out how to make the cast between branches, joggers, and horseback riders. Landing some of the bigger fish took some luck as well.

wading is now permitted because the stream was once tight but is now considerably wider than it was back in the day......

It isn't that much wider than it used to be. Sure things have changed a bit due to nature and by man, but it's not like it gained 5ft or more in width.

Now, with all that being said.........Tulpehocken Creek was mentioned, the Tully as it is known..........the Tully is the most overhyped warmwater / coolwater trout fishery on the East Coast..............now, habitat and trout holding water on this stream is hard to find.....you will walk quite a ways before you find holding water............I love to fish the Tully for Carp.......

again, it another stream that serves its purpose.........a walking/hiking trail runs from the dam to the mouth............it is a very busy stream.......and is stocked with a boatload of trout---as is the Little Lehigh........it is SE PA folks......

As far as nowadays, I agree it is a bit overhyped. Yeah it's not like it was with 16"-20" being common to catch, but it is a different type of challenge and a change of pace from the freestone and limestone streams in the area. Lots of trout holding water if you know where to look, but it isn't classic trout holding water. As far as streams "serving there purpose"....well I guess I look at them as eco-systems that support various forms of life and help to support life that lives nearby, and they aren't flowing for our personal fishy use.

MarkBob..........you take what you get in SE PA...........you will be able to find fish..........don't worry if it "blows"..........no stream is what it once was back in the day.........things change, streams change........just don't believe for one minute that because you can wade a stream now, that is the reason why it "blows"-- there are many other forces at work.

Again, never stated I have anything against the act of wading. Nor does it (wading)have to do with an entire river eco-system being "blowing". My original comments were about the heritage section of the LL.

I for one.......have never fished the Little Lehigh back in its glory days...........I never considered it a great trout fishery..........quite the opposite........but, it serves its fishy purpose......and that reason alone makes it a nice place to relax and catch a trout.............or at least have fun trying............and for what its worth..........the scenery on the running trail can be pretty good at times........

All I know, is that MarkBob asked for place to fish near Harrisburg-- where the streams are many and the fish are a plenty............then, it was Hamburg.......enter in the sigh.........but, there are streams to fish.........and trout to catch..........and ice fishing season should be going strong by mid-February (hopefully !!) you'll have fun...........and hopefully you'll catch a trout or two

I agree and hope ice fishing will be well underway and there will definitely be streams open, free of ice for some trout fishing.

Ice fishing is the one type of fishing I refuse to even try...I have no desire to sit on a giant ice cube and freeze my butt off while waiting for a flag to pop up. Just not for me.

Lol, I am going to PA for business, I just want to catch some trout in my free time if I have any.