Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
southernRoller7

Passing the torch

If you had to pick one or two pieces of fly fishing wisdom that you consider crucial to learning the art to pass down to the next generation of fly fisher, what would it be?

As simple as it is, here is mine; remember you are not throwing the fly as much as you are laying the line on the water. Thats what I was told that really helped me get my technique down.

my father once said to me,

"You can cast a lot better & further if you

take your foot off the line." ;)

Two things, first is to connect with why you are fishing. For you is it a cathartic release, a way to connect with nature, a desire to outsmart a wily creature or any of the millions of reasons people are drawn to fly fishing? Understanding our own motivations helps us achieve the desired result. Second, if you really want to consistently catch fish, stop thinking like the hunter, think like the hunted. I hear crunching feet on the bank, I see a strange shaddow, I smell deodorant on that stonefly, the barometer is rising so I think I will feed in deeper water today, I hear voices, that bug doesn't swim that way, that caddis should have a green abdomen. You see where I'm going with this, then take it to the final step and think like their prey. Be the bug or the baitfish. Use your fish and bug brain, leave the human one in the car.

Police the area. When your done, clean up every piece of litter you can. My father taught me that, we couldn't leave camp until every thing was as clean or cleaner than we found it. Many times that meant cleaning up after others. I still pack put a bag full of litter on every trip.

Police the area. When your done, clean up every piece of litter you can. My father taught me that, we couldn't leave camp until every thing was as clean or cleaner than we found it. Many times that meant cleaning up after others. I still pack put a bag full of litter on every trip.

That is great it was the first thing I taught my sons and the first thing I learned.

"Unruly children will be used as bait"

No, wait, that's pier fishing! :rolleyes:

Flyfishing is a lifetime journey, take your time, you won't learn it all at once! ;)