Fly Tying
Peterjay

Cheap Slinky Fiber

Betty mentioned in another thread that she uses synthetic hair from a beauty supply store. If anybody's interested, here's a link to my source for Slinky Fiber. You can buy a decade's supply of every color you'll need for under $50. It also comes in 2-foot lengths, which you'll never find in a fly shop. It's easy to blend, so if you cant find the color you want, you can make it yourself. If anybody knows of a source for LONG hanks of flash, it would be nice if they'd post a link. I've seen it occasionally at fly shows, but I haven't been able to come up with an internet source.

http://www.amazon.com/Kanekalon-Jumbo-Braid-Extension-Hair/dp/B001EM8TBA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

By long, I mean over a foot. I'd like to blend it with the Slinky fiber to make some very large streamers. It isn't absolutely necessary, but it would be nice. I'm sure it's available out there somewhere at less than fly shop prices, but I haven't found in in widths less that 1/8 inch. I might order some of the 1/8 inch mylar and give it a shot anyway. I found it on a religious website, so maybe it'll give my flies a bit of an edge. (LOL)

Bob, thanks for the tip on the Dungeon - I'm definitely going to order some of their H2O twist. That should be plenty big enough for what I have in mind.

Just so you know Fly Tyers Dungeon can sometimes be slow getting orders out as it is a one man operation, but you will always get your moneys worth and then some. His other flash items are in 8" hanks I believe if you lay them out flat they are actually 16" overall but call him and find out to be sure don't take my word on it as it has been a while since I have bought flash and my tying stuff is not in front of me.

Def go with fly tyers dungeon, i put my order in last week and recieved in it 5 days - with plenty of extras also - i am from NY - also call him or email him and he can personalize whatever you want, great customer service for me, never slow with any of my orders, longest was 5 days

fly tying dungeons is great. I would recommend getting the starter kit because they have so many things and you can see a few of them all. they have some of the congo hair that is a couple colors blended together which is a cool effect. They also have great dubbings. The skeeter fuzz is good on hooks down to size 30.

If you got your stuff in 5 days thats pretty darn good. I have ordered several times from them and they average 7-10 days before they ship mine. I placed one 6 days ago that hasn't shipped yet.

So just keep it in mind to be patient. It will payoff when you receive your items. Great stuff, great guy, and the items have been a lot of fun to tie with.

I looked at the link for the hair. Looks pretty good. When you show one of your fly's tied with that stuff to people and they ask what brand you use do you just say "either Heather or Christina" and then give a long pause? :D

I just tell them the truth. I'm the rhythm guitarist with Lady Gaga's tour band, and it's in my contract that I get all her used wigs. BTW - you wouldn't believe the quantity of hair you get for $2.75. I've got 16 colors, and if I need any more in the next 10 years, I'd be amazed. I might run out of white at some point, but that's about it. The stuff really looks great blended with crystal flash. I'll post some pix when I get a chance.

I would like to see that. Never used hair but seems like a good price. I have the same problem with 3mm foam sheets I bought from a hobby store. Their like 1ft by 2ft. Great quality and I'm blasting through the green/brown/black/etc but I don't know if Ill ever use that much blue foam hah. For the price I couldn't pass though. It was like 99 cents a sheet.