Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jackpine1209

Fly tying Yarn

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post. And I am new to fly tying. I have a couple of books and watch you tube. Some of the fly recipes call for yarn. Is this what you can get at a craft store? This would be for wet flies. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

jackpine1209

Hello jackpine and welcome

Alot of the yarn used for fly tying is trilobal yarn. Meaning as I understand it to be is triangular in shape and will reflect light. Antron yarn, and z-lon yarn are prime examples of it. You can get these a craft stores but the yarn will go by a different name. I think Phentex(not sure if is spelled right) is similar to antron. If you are gonna tie alot of flies that would be the way to go but if you are tying for yourself I would pick up the yarn at a flyshop.

There is also yarn used to tie glo bugs and I know it as egg yarn or glo bug yarn. Not sure what the proper name is for it but it is great for tying eggs but I prefer a foam called McFlyFoam for my egg patterns as I find it easier to handle.

There is a floating yarn called poly propylene yarn and it floats well and sheds water. Again I am not sure what the craft store name would be.

I think alot of the yarn used for wet flys is either antron or z-lon. You can also use dubbing instead of yarn as well.

Hope this helps a little and I am sure many others on hear will be able to help you out alot more than me.

Hard to tell without knowing the specific pattern. Regular acrylic or wool knitting yarn is used on some patterns. Uni-yarn is sold specifically for fly tying and is very small diameter. There is also sparkle yarn, Antron yarn, poly yarn, egg yarn, punch embroidery yarn... all are useful in certain applications.

i dont think using yarn is really pattern specific, (yes some patterns call for specifics) but if you dont have one particular kind it can always be substituted with something else and be just as effective and maybe even better

basically any kind of yarn (wool, poly, acrylic etc) found in the big box craft shop can be used for fly tying. im sure there are some yarns that may be too bulky even when separating the strands that just wouldnt be right for fly tying

jackpine1209, there are many types of yarns, as these others have pointed out, but the answer to your question is yes. The majority of synthetic materials used in fly tying, can usually be found in other industries, and particularly in the crafts & sewing/fabrics industry. However, many trade or brand names that may be used in fly tying, may not be the same as is found elsewhere. With a little looking around, you can often find other sources for your tying purposes, but you do have to know what you're looking for, such as the material type. For example, antron is very popular for tying, and is used to make yarns for sewing, upholstery & even carpet. There are also many blends of materials, so an "antron" yarn of one brand, may have a different amount of actual antron fiber in it than another brand. Antron is a nylon material that Dupont developed back in the 60's.

Also, even when you find the material, some brands may be better suited for tying than others. For example, "Aunt Lydia's" is a brand found in many sewing shops that sell yarn's and has been a popular tying material.

I remember when wool yarn was a very popular material for tying flies, and it's still a good material, but is not as popular as it once was.

When looking for a type of yarn for tying, it's usually best to go with whatever the recipe calls for, but that does not mean it's the only material or brand that might work. After you get into tying a bit more, you'll likely find that by browsing through a craft or sewing shop you'll see many materials that might be worth trying on fly patterns!

jackpine-

There's some good advice here in that there are all types of yarns that are usable for tying flies.

Be aware that some yarns will float and others will not, such as wool, and will become water saturated. That will be necessary

to know if you are tying dry or wet/nymph flies. I will usually cut a small snippet and gently drop it into a glass of water

and check back in about an hour.

While you're at the craft store, such as Hobby Lobby or Michael's, wander down the aisles, and look at their chenilles,

feathers, foam, beads, doll eyes, craft furs, stretch cords, paints, etc. It will give you some ideas about flies that you can tie.

Gary LaFontaine's "Sparkle Yarn" was apparently nothing more than "Aunt Lydia's Rug Yarn", which is still available in the stores that are purveyors of yarns. Another one to look for when in these stores is any yarn made from Angora Goat hair (Mohair) that is dark (olive, brown, black, purple, etc.) as you have "Leech Yarn" by the skein!

I cannot second kentuckytroutbum's advise either loudly or strongly enough. Hobby Lobby, Michaels, the Craft Supplies section of JoAnn's Fabrics and Crafts, and other shops carrying such items, are truly GREAT fly tying materials shops. Even the fabrics shops can also fit right in: organza for 'crystal loop' wings on spinners, "pearls by the yard' for plastic eyes on dragonfly nymphs, etc., mylar for various applications (even found gold holographic mylar in one for bass and saltwater patterns!). The list goes on forever. Just go in, wander the aisles, and let your imagination take over. You might even encounter some really nice "eye candy".

Cheers!