Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Aqueous1025

Could use a little help

I had mentioned before I used to tie flies but never fly fished. I recently got back into tying flies and have since been thinking about giving fly fishing a try. For my birthday I was given a little starter kit that came with a fly fishing pole, reel, fly line, and tappered lead. I have been trying to relearn fly tying and have a ton of flies that are fishable. I do have a few questions though.

I have read somewhere before to put a backing on the reel before attatching the fly line. I was wondering what kind should I use and how much?? I have some 20 lbs. line Im not using for anything would that work??

I am thinking that I tie this onto the reel, then tie in the fly line, then the tappered leader, and then the fly??

After you have fished a fly and want to change things up or replace the fly do you tie in a new leader, cut off the fly and tie in a new one at the end of the leader?? How do you go about this without cutting your fly line shorter each time you switch things up??

Any help as to how to set things up would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any words of wisdom, links, or videos for actually fishing with the fly pole to get me started practicing and giving it a try would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I know you probably don't want to hear this but.

If you have any fly shops in the area i would highly suggest going to them.

It would be nice to go and see how it's done and if their good people than they might even be able to help you set it up.

That would be your best bet, because words can only explain so much, but watching someone do it helps a lot.

Here is a YouTube Link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5jGbjDyFF0 There are several more on YouTube.

As to the amount of backing, it depends on the species you are going after and your reel capacity. For pan fish you really don't need any backing. For large trout maybe 100 yard. For steelhead 150 yards. For salmon and bonefish and most smaller saltwater fish 200 yards. Everyone will have there own opinion about this depending on their experience and what they have read. Backing generally comes in 20 and 30 pound spools. It is generally a braided synthetic (not mono). It also come is a standard and micro diameter. The micro allows you to get more on a reel and is handy if you have limited capacity.

A fly reel spool should have about 1/4" of "head space" after the backing, line, and leader are put on. The extra

room allows for sloppy winding. It also allows for easy removal of the spool from the reel.

The problem is that one never knows how much backing is the correct amount to end up with that 1/4" of space.

The solution is to wind the fly line on the reel first beginning with the tip end. When the fly line is on, tie the backing

on to the end of fly line and wind the backing on the reel spool until you you are 1/4 inch from the spool edge. Then

take it all off. Reverse it by tying the backing to the spool arbor and wind the backing and line onto the spool, then

tie the leader system to the tip of the fly line.

Now your reel is properly filled.

I agree with NJ All Day, if you have a fly shop somewhere near you, go in and explain where you are at. I didn't learn how to fly fish from a family member or friend, so i had to go through the same stuff you are, but what nj all day said earlier, seeing someone do it is sooo much better than reading it. If you have a little bit of cash to burn, go in to the shop and pay for whatever you need to, and ask lots of questions, and have them line the reel in front of you. If they are unwilling to do this, it's a terrible fly shop. Once you get this part squared away, don't be embarrassed to ask seemingly simple questions on this forum, everyone has to learn somehow, and at one point we have all had the same questions. Good luck!

Thank you guys so much.

I am not having any problems getting it together now. The video guide in your pocket series is awesome. I took the time to wind it all together backwards, lol I used the whole backing line up and it was just right. I got my backing and line tied on really good following that video series. Thats pretty nifty the way he strips off the last three inches of fly line so you can tie the backing to the core of the fly line. I am going to make a furled leader following the article in hatches magazine tomorrow and get it and the tippet tied on. Hopefully the warm days next week will really be warm and not terribly windy :-)

Thank you guys again. Very helpful stuff.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find a shop close enough to us that is within reasonable driving for me or my wife. If anyone in Texas knows of one close to Little Elm let me know.

One other thing you might want to check for is a fly fishing club in your area, they can be lots of help in learning to cast and where the sweet spots to fish are, and there is always a bonus to fishing with a buddy. Fishing alone has it's moments, but fishing with someone that knows the waters is a huge advantage to having more fun CATCHING fish and not just casting a fly.

Blane

I attach all my lines via loop to loop connections, backing, fly line and leader. This way you never have to tie knots durring a bite and you can interchange things fast and easy. Give loop to loop connections a look on the internet. You can buy prefabricated loops to place on the ends but they do fray over time, I just loop he line over and whip finish a whole bunch and head cemeent. Holds on a 10 pound coho on a 6 weight rod so im confident in hold strength. Just my 2 c.

Druce

Thank you again. Thats a good idea, I use drop loops and perfection loops on all my bait casting since it is easier and I dot have to cut and tie all the time or use bulky hardware in all the connections. I am curious though, you mentioned folding over the fly line and whip finnishing it??

That sounds like a good idea, you would never have to cut your fly line for anything that way. What do you use to whip finish the fly line loop, mono or tying thread???

I second druce, loop to loop is my preference for sure.

not to mention after you tie a knot betwene your leader and fly line and you forget scissors so you got this dumb 1 inch florecent tag....always forgeting those stupid damn scissors.

Thank you again. Thats a good idea, I use drop loops and perfection loops on all my bait casting since it is easier and I dot have to cut and tie all the time or use bulky hardware in all the connections. I am curious though, you mentioned folding over the fly line and whip finnishing it??

That sounds like a good idea, you would never have to cut your fly line for anything that way. What do you use to whip finish the fly line loop, mono or tying thread???

I use 3/0 "mono cord" i think it is its like 3 steps heaveyer that 3/0. Its the stuff they use for big pike flies, you can give it major tork so it will hold nice, ill take a picture of my set ups tonight so you can get an idea.