Fly Tying

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know in some parts of the country egg patterns are quite legitimate due to spawns but here in Georgia they are only used by fly fisherman who don't know how to fly fish and are too lazy to learn anything about entomology. They are nothing more than a crutch used to catch freshly stocked fish. I would rather __________ (insert anything bad and painful here) than ever tye or fish a egg pattern. Having said that I only mean it in my area of the country, if you are fishing a spawn then its matching the hatch (or in this case a natural food source)

I know in some parts of the country egg patterns are quite legitimate due to spawns but here in Georgia they are only used by fly fisherman who don't know how to fly fish and are too lazy to learn anything about entomology. They are nothing more than a crutch used to catch freshly stocked fish. I would rather __________ (insert anything bad and painful here) than ever tye or fish a egg pattern. Having said that I only mean it in my area of the country, if you are fishing a spawn then its matching the hatch (or in this case a natural food source)

i plan on using egg flies on stocked brook trout in the spring, but in the fall i use eggs for spawning salmon, steelhead, and brown trout

i plan on using egg flies on stocked brook trout in the spring, but in the fall i use eggs for spawning salmon, steelhead, and brown trout

After further thought I think I am judging you unfairly by practices that are going on here in Georgia which might not have anything to do with your area.

Egg

5509412_f260.jpg

Nymph

1319.jpg

Emerger

1328.jpg

Dun

jrain.jpg

With many different species of fish in my local waters, some sort of egg is usually present most of the year.

Out of all the Golden Stone nymphs I have seen in the rivers I fish, not once have I found one with a Golden Bead attatched to it's head. By your logic, I suppose using beads on our flys is a "crutch". You know, for lazy fishermen that cant tye well enough to imitate a particular species? Or the bead is for weight. You know for lazy fishermen that wont learn how to get a drag free drift? They can just add a bead and lead. Rubber legs on a pattern?

Dont get me wrong. I use beads, lead, rubber legs, and I also use eggs. You know, I like being lazy.

Egg

5509412_f260.jpg

Nymph

1319.jpg

Emerger

1328.jpg

Dun

jrain.jpg

With many different species of fish in my local waters, some sort of egg is usually present most of the year.

Out of all the Golden Stone nymphs I have seen in the rivers I fish, not once have I found one with a Golden Bead attatched to it's head. By your logic, I suppose using beads on our flys is a "crutch". You know, for lazy fishermen that cant tye well enough to imitate a particular species? Or the bead is for weight. You know for lazy fishermen that wont learn how to get a drag free drift? They can just add a bead and lead. Rubber legs on a pattern?

Dont get me wrong. I use beads, lead, rubber legs, and I also use eggs. You know, I like being lazy.

Yes I understand, that much of the year that eggs will be present but are they the size of Salmon eggs, are they bright florescent pink, are the multi colored like clown eggs. Also a trout egg (not that trout are the only species in the water but in Georgia we have very limited cold water for trout and trout will compose a high percentage of the total fish in that body of water) isn't much bigger than a 3/16" brass bead. I too use beads, lead and rubber leggs. My comments come more from locals who refuse to learn what a Pheasnat Tail nymph is and beat the drums for bright pink San Juan Worms, Clown eggs, and fish our Delayed Harvest (heavily stocked winter C & R only fishing areas) I frequently see them in $400 Simms Waders, $700 Sage fly rods and what do they do wade out and tie on a clown egg maybe they catch a few stockers maybe they don't but then most will complain about catching 10" freshly stocked fish and want to know where the bigger fish are. If your interested in what I'm talking about get to NGTO which is a Georgia Fly Fishing site. On there they are many very knowledgeable fisherman and good conversations about trout/flies/presentation, but look for the threads about Eggs, San Juan Worms, Junk Food Flies and what you will find is a group that uses this fly as a crutch because the don't understand much about available trout food.

Egg

5509412_f260.jpg

Nymph

1319.jpg

Emerger

1328.jpg

Dun

jrain.jpg

Yes I understand, that much of the year that eggs will be present but are they the size of Salmon eggs, are they bright florescent pink, are the multi colored like clown eggs. Also a trout egg (not that trout are the only species in the water but in Georgia we have very limited cold water for trout and trout will compose a high percentage of the total fish in that body of water) isn't much bigger than a 3/16" brass bead. I too use beads, lead and rubber leggs. My comments come more from locals who refuse to learn what a Pheasnat Tail nymph is and beat the drums for bright pink San Juan Worms, Clown eggs, and fish our Delayed Harvest (heavily stocked winter C & R only fishing areas) I frequently see them in $400 Simms Waders, $700 Sage fly rods and what do they do wade out and tie on a clown egg maybe they catch a few stockers maybe they don't but then most will complain about catching 10" freshly stocked fish and want to know where the bigger fish are. If your interested in what I'm talking about get to NGTO which is a Georgia Fly Fishing site. On there they are many very knowledgeable fisherman and good conversations about trout/flies/presentation, but look for the threads about Eggs, San Juan Worms, Junk Food Flies and what you will find is a group that uses this fly as a crutch because the don't understand much about available trout food.

i honestly dont know a whole lot about entomology,however i have also tied hundreds of eggs and never used them. i do know it doesnt matter what you use as long as your happy with the end result..i ised to tie alot of traditional patterns but i have more luck with variations and my own made up patterns

Dubbn,

you do know that the egg pattern on the jig hook will flip and put the eggs under instead of on top. should have tied em oppisite.