Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nhagan

5/6 wt pole for beginner (redington or tfo)?

Hey there. I am new to fly fishing. I have been reading all over on the forums trying to figure out what to purchase for my first 'investment' in this hobby! I would be mainly fishing still ponds (the occasional flowing creek) for crappie, gills and bass. I have been reading around most point to a cabelas or bps combo around the $100 mark for a starter. I was looking around a bit myself and have two or three that I have found and like. I was hoping you could throw some input my way.

First thought was a Pursuit combo from Redington 6wt (http://www.redington.com/outfits/pursuit).

Second throught is an NXT combo from TFO 5/6wt (http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/products/combo.html).

Lastly I saw someone linking to an Albright combo 5/6wt (albrightflyfish.com/items/topwater-outfits/list.htm) - Looks like this one would be backordered.

I am not really in much of a hurry as the places I fish are somewhat un-fishable as of now because of the goofy weather here in central Illinois. I am open to any other suggestions as well. Thank yo for your time and any input you can give me!

Neil

^ That is kind of the issue. I do not know of any local fly shops to give them a whirl (plenty of bait shops just not a lot of fly shops around - that I am aware of). We just had a bassproshop open about 15 minutes from me (may be my best option at this point in time). I may run down there and see what combos they have available. I myself am still bouncing between the tfo and the redington.

Neil

For what it's worth, I have both TFO & Redington rods, and have no real issues with either, they both will do the job. No experience with the ones you've listed however. But, if I was looking for a rod to get someone started, I think I would go with the TFO. Personal preference also. I feel the TFO rods I have cast a bit better than the Redington.

Fact is, I agree with casting before you buy, but most folks new to fly fishing rarely know the difference when casting two different rods.

I read some recent demographics ( don't recall where however,) that listed TFO as one of the most purchased makes of fishing rod. I'm not sure, but it may have also included their other types of rods, not just fly rods. Not the only reason to buy a TFO, but it does say something positive about them.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I am leaning toward that TFO kit. I think bps may stock them. I will have to run down this weekend and check them out in person!

Neil

TFO......if you break it in a car door they will replace it. No brainer

When I first started I bought a TFO Professional Series 5 wt. I love it. It's still the only 5 wt. I own. Like Ditz2 said, they have a no fault lifetime warranty. I don't think they make the Professional Series anymore, but was replaced by the BVK line, which I hear it's a better rod. I bought my son a Redington Crosswater and it's a nice looking rod, but I can naturally cast the TFO further and can cast drys more delicately than his Redington.

good stuff firedad! thats what I like to hear. I am leaning more towards the tfo rig. Thamk you all for the great info.

Neil

As a custom rod builder, I am a bit prejudiced against store bought rods, but for the people that do not want a rod built for them, I usually recommend the TFO's and have never had anyone complain about them.

My only worry reading some reviews about the tfo combo is they claim the line that comes pre-spooled is garbage (guess thats not a deal breaker but..)

would I be better off purchasing a TiCr X series rod and grabbing a different $50 reel??

neil

My only worry reading some reviews about the tfo combo is they claim the line that comes pre-spooled is garbage (guess thats not a deal breaker but..)

would I be better off purchasing a TiCr X series rod and grabbing a different $50 reel??

This is a great rod but it has quite a fast action I have heard. I don't personally own one but if it is as fast as I have heard it may not be a good rod to start with. A moderate or moderate fast rod to start on IMHO

Like stated above: Aviod fast action rods when starting off. I did the same thing ad got a fast action rod starting off and, not knowing how to cast very well yet, it makes it harder to learn to cast good. I suggest TFO also. I don't own one but I have heard good things. Go to TFO's website and compare the rods you are thinking of getting. If your still not sure which one to get, I'd suggest to contact TFO and ask them what they suggest. They should help you out. But I think reddington has a good $70 reel. But I like m $40 reel from Bass pro shop. The hobbs creek from BPS is solid and only $40 lol I use it on my Sage 8wt over a Teton Tioga I own.