Fly Tying

I tend to buy chemically sharpened hooks for saltwater, which really can't be sharpened any more than they already are. For freshwater hooks, or saltwater hooks that have been dulled after use, I use a sharpening stone and triangulate the point. I rub from the point in towards the bend. Doing otherwise can aggregate burrs on the point and make them duller.

Until the time DMT made a butterfly style (the knife) diamond strop, I used to carry the standards: toomakers white die stones, small Washita oil stones, fine carborundum combination whetstones, etc. I probably have a white die stone and a double grit whetstone in my vest now. I'll have (sharpening) stones which have been virtually untouched when I die, it seems.

I use the E-Z Lap diamond sharperner. Good tool to carry around with you, and saved my bacon more than once

I keep a Rapala one in my vest it is light and came with a three peice kit with small forceps, line sniper, hook sharpener that also has e few other tools attached to it was cheap enough $7.00 for the whole kit. I think it was an error because there were other kits the same and slightly different that were $14.95. so I grabed it. Thats not stealing is it? it was a major corporation like Wall Mart.