Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Johny Utah

Nicheo bwo and Gordon.

Hey everybody, I have been playing around with some different techniques and flies the past year or so, and I have always taken my catskill flies and cut a v underneath. I just never cared and I noticed sometimes the fish cared that the color of the thorax region is of the color of the hackle. So I figured a way to solve that. And so far the bwo hasn't let me down and I cant wait to put the gordon to the test. The bwo so far is limestone brown trout approved. I will be putting a tutorial together and a video soon on the tying process. But here is a preview. :)

P2110005.jpg

P2110007.jpg

P2110006.jpg

P2120047.jpg

Almost all of the older dry fly fishing literature on fishing the Catskills have admonitions about ALWAYS carrying a pair of scissor afield so you can cut a "V" notch in the bottom hackle to produce a lower ride on the water surface; especially when they are emerging, and still riding 'low on the water'.

I'm thinking that my be a very good option for fine tweaking the match. You might be onto something about the trout's expectation of seeing that abdomen color. I live here in the Catskills, and I can tell you on my home water of The Neversink. I almost never fish fully dressed duns. I use by far more parachute patterns than anything else. The classics, all dressed up for the show, will produce, but I can honestly say the trout were I fish prefer the pattern right on or in the film.

Thanks Guys, Like I was saying. There have been many picky trout in my path and I figure instead of cutting the hackle off, why not keep it for floatation. The wings are siliconized poly yarn. The stuff floats like cork and is easy to work with. So far field test with the fly have been great. :)

Almost all of the older dry fly fishing literature on fishing the Catskills have admonitions about ALWAYS carrying a pair of scissor afield so you can cut a "V" notch in the bottom hackle to produce a lower ride on the water surface; especially when they are emerging, and still riding 'low on the water'.

I grew up fishing the Catskills and have all the books from back in the era, none have anything about carrying scissors.. In fact if I did that while fishing with the likes of Flick, Harry Darbee, Lee Wulff,probaly would not be here now.. That was sacrilege to do among the Catskill group and still is today..You use a wet fly..

Good looking fly. It looks a lot like something my flytying instructor did 32 years ago. He split the hackle on the bottom with crossing wraps of dubbing. Great idea.

Hey Bob. I always thought it to be sacrilegious too. :lol:. Such beautiful hackle butchered by scissors. Although I still do it sometimes though.

Good looking fly. It looks a lot like something my flytying instructor did 32 years ago. He split the hackle on the bottom with crossing wraps of dubbing. Great idea.

That techinque is very similar. I use that one for making hackle wing spinners.

I grew up fishing the Catskills and have all the books from back in the era, none have anything about carrying scissors.. In fact if I did that while fishing with the likes of Flick, Harry Darbee, Lee Wulff,probaly would not be here now.. That was sacrilege to do among the Catskill group and still is today..You use a wet fly..

I agree with you. I seem to recall Vince Marinaro(sp?) being the one who "adjusted" his flies on the water??

I tied up some Hare's Ear wets on my lunch hour at work today for that very reason...

I agree with you. I seem to recall Vince Marinaro(sp?) being the one who "adjusted" his flies on the water??

Vincent Marinaro tied a fly called the thorax which had the wing placed near the middle of the hook and hackles wound slanting fore and aft with dubbing wound somewhat like the figure 8 technique of tying spinners. Dick Talleur simplified things by winding one hackle, snipping out a v in the bottom of the hackle and dubbing the snipped out area. Both methods gave a low floating fly with the entire body visible to the trout. Probably eveyone has noticed that when fishing a classically wound hackle that after a few casts the lower hackle fibers tend to end up below water and the more horizontal fibers end up floating the fly. It is a deadly pattern on spring creeks.