Fly Tying
johngunguy

Keeping Super Glue tube clean

I always seem to get the super glue or Zap-a-gap bottle all gummed up and hard or impossible to open. Tried wiping the tube after each use but it still seems to get glue build up which keeps the cap from opening/closing properly. Anyone have a solution for this?

thanks

One solution is to get some extra tips (or save some up from used bottles) and soak them in lacqure thinner (in a bottle) to remove the glue. Then change the tip when it gets clogged and put the clogged tip in the lacquer thinner to clean. Don't wipe the tip with a paper towel, since many paper towels will act as an acceletator for the glue, and may cause the tip to clog faster.

Had the same problem for years. Never had a tip last long enough to use half a

bottle. Now I use Crazy Glue that is in the brush applicator bottle. The opening is almost as large as a pencil. I buy cheap boxes of stick pins for applicators at wal mart for tiny apps and the brush it comes with on big stuff. The lid never gets glued shut and I empty every bottle. No waste.

+1 on the instant Krazy Glue brush on $2.50 at da dollar store...always ready ;) use it in da boat handy for securing knots, etc.

I saw/heard somewhere that if you just don't put the cap back on, that solves the problem. It allows the glue to run back down the tube into the bottle, and the glue doesn't harden or solidify at all. Have't tried it, haven't had the guts.

(On a slightly similar note, you can keep the cap of your head cement / Sally Hansons from gluing itself shut by putting a thin coat of Vasoline on the threads.)

I saw/heard somewhere that if you just don't put the cap back on, that solves the problem. It allows the glue to run back down the tube into the bottle, and the glue doesn't harden or solidify at all. Have't tried it, haven't had the guts.

(On a slightly similar note, you can keep the cap of your head cement / Sally Hansons from gluing itself shut by putting a thin coat of Vasoline on the threads.)

Great tip thanks!

Leaving the cap off may not work in areas of high humidity, as it is moisture that activates the reaction. Placing a straight pin into the opening until the next use might work---have never tried it

If you are using a tube type glue, try gently squeezing the sides after you have the tube upright. This expands the tube and sucks the glue back down out of the tube tip. This works for a little while, until you have used up so much glue you cannot get the tube to expand. Go easy and watch to make sure the glue is going back down the tube tip. Store the glue upright.

I started using Loctite Super Glue Gel when the more liquid variety became unavailable where

I shop. It turns out it is better for what I need it anyway. When not in use I keep it cap up in a

snap on container in the refrigerator. Squeezing the tube can lead to more being delivered

than desired. So squeeze gently. Wiping the tip as needed, I haven't had a problem with a

crust developing on the outside with this method. Once in a while I've had to run a needle

down the tube. But have been able to use the entire contents of the tube.

I use the "single use" tubes. I get them at the auto supply store and they usually last one tying session. If I need to stop for a day or so I put a piece of tape over the nozzle and try to make it air tight. 5 single use tubes cost around $3.50 for the "normal" glue, the gel is a little more.

I checked three local dollar stores and a hardware store and non carried the Krazy glue with brush applicator, but the hardware did have a small bottle of Loctite with a brush applicator so I got that. I also got some Vaseline to coat the cap threads so that might help as well. I also like the single use container idea as well. I always carry a Maxpedition Falcon II bag with all sorts of items that I may need when traveling and on vacation. Single use super glue would be an added benefit item.

As I use quite a bit of super glue in my wood turning, I have dealt with this problem for years, and still do not have a satisfactory solution; at least one that is not "labor intensive". The "Pros" (chemists) recommend storing it in airtight jars with a dessicant in the bottom to absorb any moisture in the entrapped air. Some even go so far as to recommend a-jar-within-a-jar arrangement. The squeezing of the sides of the container to draw the residual left up in the tube after use does NOT always work---and don't ask me how I know! And I do know about humidity as I live in the Greater Houston, Texas area.

I usually get my super glue from the Model section of Hobby Lobby, and have found it to be less troublesome than that from other sources. All I have to do is open a container of Zap-A-Gap, and it is solidified. Quit buying it years ago for this very reason.

I have just learned to &%@+*~! live with it.

Walmart carries the Krazy glue brush on, last I looked also, Johnny. ;)

I think it's catching on like sliced bread did years ago... :lol: I got the tip from bass fishermen said it was great for knots and would last in hot sun situations. I looked everywhere for a while; could only find it in Dollar Gen. for a while now it's everywhere. keep looking ;) This Is M'sipi, soon gotta be in Luziana...Later DL

PS I thought they had a deal on this forum where you put your location on the side. Would be great to know where poster are coming from....Oh well they musta felt it was not OK for whatever reason... :unsure:

Ooops my bad it's in your profile, oh well. Get to clickin!