Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CaddiChucker

Sizes for Trouties? (May,Caddis,Stone)

Ok, I'm trying to figure out size ranges, I guess its variable by region, but does anyone have info on size ranges for Olive Mayflies, Stones, and Caddis -any all stages (USA preferably)? How about dragonfly larve? I would like to rig up a chart so I can figure out leg lengths, hook sizes etc.

Ok, I'm trying to figure out size ranges, I guess its variable by region, but does anyone have info on size ranges for Olive Mayflies, Stones, and Caddis -any all stages (USA preferably)? How about dragonfly larve? I would like to rig up a chart so I can figure out leg lengths, hook sizes etc.

Try: http://fishermonk.com/programs/2m_hatch.html

First Mayflies: Hexiginia can be pretty large, most of the time they are tied on a 2X long dry fly hook, and the body may even be extended. The smallest mayflies (Caenis) will be in the size 30 to 32 size range. If your JUST talking about olive body mayflies, you would be safe with size 18 to 24, and then some size 10 to 14. Where you draw the line between olive, and yellow, could get a little hazy, so even having some size 14 and 16 wouldn't hurt.

Caddis flies in olive would mostly be in the size 14 to 18 sizes,

Not to familiar with olive body stoneflies, but in general the largest stones could be as large as a size 2 (4X long hook,) and as small as a size 16 (4X Long,) and everything in between.

First Mayflies: Hexiginia can be pretty large, most of the time they are tied on a 2X long dry fly hook, and the body may even be extended. The smallest mayflies (Caenis) will be in the size 30 to 32 size range. If your JUST talking about olive body mayflies, you would be safe with size 18 to 24, and then some size 10 to 14. Where you draw the line between olive, and yellow, could get a little hazy, so even having some size 14 and 16 wouldn't hurt.

Caddis flies in olive would mostly be in the size 14 to 18 sizes,

Not to familiar with olive body stoneflies, but in general the largest stones could be as large as a size 2 (4X long hook,) and as small as a size 16 (4X Long,) and everything in between.

Ok, thanks that s a great start. The link above, the program is still in development?, but thanks