Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Matt B

Furled Body Cream Cahill

I've been playing with antron and furling bodies to do some may fly patterns. Nothing new here, Ken Hanley's book on furled flies will tell you everything you need to know. I tye and tend to fish a lot of parachutes here in the Catskills. I really believe the trout prefer them over the old standard catskill dressed duns. I see a lot more cream cahills then I do the standard darker cahills. The later the season the lighter they get. The only thing I do different from fly to fly is with the hackle. Earlier in the season I tye and fish the pattern with a cream and ginger hackle to give it just a little darker color (as pictured in photo). Later in the season I lose the ginger hackle and really lighten it up with just the cream. Here's the recipe.

Hook - 12 thru 16 dry fly hook

Body - furled cream antron, with a little super fine cahill dubbing to blend it into the hook, when tied on.

Parachute post - tag end of the furled antron, waste not want not

Hackle - Early Season 6 or 7 wraps of cream 4 or 5 wraps of ginger, Late season 6 or 7 wraps of cream only

extendedbodycreamcahill1.jpg

Very nice tye! This weekend I have been furling GSP for paraloops and I think I'll try a few like yours. But don't you think the trout might miss tails?

I've actually given that some thought, and I'm of the mind that trout tend to see whats right instead of whats wrong if that makes sense. I think if the size and color are right coupled with the great segmentation look of the furled antron the missing tail fibers shouldn't mean much. Plus, with the furled tail curving up towards the sky like a real mayfly, it would make it hard for them to see two lil creamy fibers anyway. My wife tells me I'm insane for even spending time thinking about stuff like that, but people who don't tye just don't get it. Good catch on that, thought i was gonna sneak one by you guys.

Sweet fly Matt, make sure you add all these flies to the database...just for those members who don't check the site daily....lot's of great flies get buried in old post...

I just need to update. This fly was OUTSTANDING!!! this season. I was able to raise fish when none were feeding. I can say without a doubt, it was the one pattern that could consistently take fish. At one point at the end of Aug and all of Sept they would savage a size 16 with just ginger hackle.