Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Voodoo

JStockard adds

What is with the "fly line" they tie to their flies in the Adds, it looks like knitting yarn or there something im not getting. P.S. why do their knows have such a large tag?

What is with the "fly line" they tie to their flies in the Adds, it looks like knitting yarn or there something im not getting. P.S. why do their knows have such a large tag?

Its hideous to me. I appreciate their sponsorship but I always wonder when I see the add- if its such a great store, why is the fly in the add so pathetic?

Orvis is a great store too. High quality and great service come at a cost.

About 90% of my online fly tying dollars go to JStockard. I can honestly say I never even noticed the fly on the JStockard add until this thread. Maybe it was a test to see if anyone was paying attention.

Id have to agree. I too spend 90% or better on J Stockard supplies. I also think that you tie as good as you tie, if anything a poor picture just makes you look like a hell of a lot better tier than that...

Just got my first order from JStockard never noticed any picture but was happy with the material received. What I care about is their website is pretty fast and easy to navigate through, and how fast they ship my order and they meet all those criteria.

I've also noticed the ad, and wondered about it. There has to be a reason for it, since they could furnish any picture they choose. I assumed it was a horse-hair tippet, but don't know. But it doesn't matter, J. Stockard gets almost all my business.

"P.S. Why do their knows have such a large tag" I don't understand this question at all.

I noticed the flies on the cover and on page one and was a little puzzled. I'm no marketing genius, but if it were my company, I'd pick decent looking flies for the catalog. Since I know J Stockard is a good company it won't affect my purchases at all. If I wasn't familiar with them, it would make me wonder. Just seems like an odd choice.

Orvis is a great store too. High quality and great service come at a cost.

About 90% of my online fly tying dollars go to JStockard. I can honestly say I never even noticed the fly on the JStockard add until this thread. Maybe it was a test to see if anyone was paying attention.

I agree, Orvis is a fine company with great customer service - I own and love several Orvis rods and reels - but their fly tying supplies are not cheap by any stretch. I just ordered $40 worth of stuff from Stockard, and I'd hate to think what I'd pay at Orvis for the same materials.

Its just artwork, a representation/interpretation of the real thing. I actually like their logo.

Same thing with Orvis, what flyfisher on earth has that kind of posture? But it looks cool.

Kirk

the value inside the catalog far outweighs the choice of fly selected for the cover. whoever gets their own catalog then they can choose whatever fly they want. :)

"P.S. Why do their knows have such a large tag" I don't understand this question at all.

If you substitute "knots" for "knows" it makes more sense :)