Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Ditmer

Help!!

I am 14 and i am going to get a new fly rod this summer. I will be using it for bass, carp, bluegills, suckers, gar and anything else that takes the fly that lives in Illinois streams. I am thinking about an Orvis 6 weight access. Its a tip flex, and comes with a access III reel and line, and backing for $540.00. good? any suggestions? Thanks!

Im a huge fan of temple fork outfitters (and its not because I am selling one on the trading floor) :lol:

Significantly cheaper then Orvis and it has the same lifetime warranty. No questions asked, you send the broken rod and $25 (for return shipping) to TFO and within 10 days you get a brand new rod back.

Take a look at them! Just my $.02

I'll third the TFOs. They are making some fantastic and affordable rods. Given your list of target species, a 6 weight might be the best all around choice.

Ill second what most of these guys said. TFO 6wt with a lamson or allen reel. I have all TFO rods and lamson and allen reels.

Diamondback Flawless, blows TFO out of the water and way cheaper than Orvis.

Never heard of them.. care to elaborate? Saying they blow TFO out of the water is a boldddd statement.

I am 14 and i am going to get a new fly rod this summer. I will be using it for bass, carp, bluegills, suckers, gar and anything else that takes the fly that lives in Illinois streams. I am thinking about an Orvis 6 weight access. Its a tip flex, and comes with a access III reel and line, and backing for $540.00. good? any suggestions? Thanks!

If the streams are smallish with lots of overhanging trees I would go with a rod no longer than 7'6" and a 5wt would be my choice. If the bass and carp are not large I might even go to a lighter rod. If this is your first fly rod I would also suggest a TFO. Good value and warrantee is great. You might want to check out the Cabelas and Bass Pro reels. With decent care any of them will last you many years if not your life time of fishing. They have decent drags too. Spend your money on the rod and line. Get a 4 piece rod and be sure to get a hard case for it. Doors play havic with rod tips. I fish small warm water creeks here in middle TN and I personally use 6' rods and love them. I never use my longer rods unless except in open areas.

If you have to pick one then my opinion would be the 6 wt. I can toss everything from small dries to large streamers with my 6 wt and have caught everything from a 6' native brookie to a 26" steelhead.