Fly Tying
Chorizo

Skinny water Texas flies

Is there anyone from Texas here? Do you reside in coastal Texas? Do any of you have any new flies you've been using as of late?

Chorizo...

I live on the upper Texas coast, and fly fish. I also have dozens of 'skinny water' fly fishing buddies who can provide answers for you. However, how about being a little more specific with your question? Are you looking for specific patterns to use, or are you asking if there are patterns that are not typically used, and thus could be considered "new", as in "application" on the Texas coast?

Looking for anything new to tie. I tie a lot of crab imitations, spoons, and shrimp bugs. I'm just getting bored lately, and lookin for something new to tie. Something that works.

You do not mention Clouser minnows, Seaducers, Deceivers, Roadkill, Crease flies, Rattle Rousers, Ron Mayfield's Rattle Mullet, or his Mohawk Minnow; just to mention a few extremely popular patterns for the Texas coast and 'skinny water'. The Rattle Mullet and the Mohawk Minnow give you the opportunity to use deer hair for the construction of great saltwater flies. The Mohawk Minnow is tied to resemble pinfish and piggy perch, both "delicacies" to specs.

Tying a dozen so of each of these, and especially if you do the Clousers in all of the popular coastal colors, should keep you out of the Bingo Parlors and pool halls for several weeks, as well as providing the new challenges you seek..

I have been using the Clouser Minow in the surf with great success. Look at the Guadalupe fly fishing site and they have a bunch of patterns and recipes. I also belong to the Montgomery County fly fishing assco. Try their web site. They also meet one a month to talk tying I think at gander mountain on I-45