Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Airbrushing poppers made easy

I was looking to paint "soft" foam bodies. Is there any special technique to doing this? The foam is the kind like Rainy's sells. I think Spirit River sells soft foam popper bodies that are already airbrushed, so I know it can be done. I just don't know if there are any differences in painting this type of material from that of hard bodies.

Thanks Steeldrifter, that was an awesome post, great information. I've had my airbrushing stuff put away for about 15 years. I used to air brush quite a bit. I remember it took much more time masking layers with Frisket paper, trimming with super fine X-acto knives and cleaning the brushed than actually spraying and painting. I have 6 Iwata HPC's and a quick connect coupling which allowed me to change paint colors without having to clean first. Just reading your informative post makes me want to get the box out of the garage. My wife is an amazing artist but does animals and flowers by brush. I had a real fondness for the look of air brush work. Thanks for re-kindling the urge to paint. I'm thinking about painting some brown trout in a stream. The skull you painted looks really cool, very nice work, bet your friend is real proud of his custom car.

Thanks Graham dig out the airbrushing equipment for sure, its really a neat hobby in itself.

sparkleminnow..i havent tried the soft bodies yet myself but i would imagine the same tech's would be applied to soft bodies as it would to the hard bodies.

Probably the only difference would be that the soft bodies may take a extra coat of paint as it would probably tend to absorb the paint more readily and might take a coat or two more to get the color as viberant as well as taking a bit longer to dry.

I finally decided to try and paint some poppers with an airbrush. After reading a post on airbrushing with sharpies, I looked into how much would it really cost for an airbrush? So I ordered a cheap China airbrush kit off ebay. I have the compressor, so my cost is very low. I'm painting foam poppers, so I don't need an expensive set up. When all said and done. I might have $40 with the paint invested. I look for deals, And this kit gave you everything but the compressor. As I was reading up on-line the how to guides on airbrushing a popper. I found this old post. I wont need this big of a setup, but the info is good.

I use the Copic pen airbrush. I got a small self contained compressor. I have been experimenting with stuff I can use as templates. I've found that a small comb makes a nice template for gills. I also got a small mesh bag like you can get for storing pencils. I cut a corner off,then wrap it around the popper body. It makes a great frog pattern on the popper body. I have some old metal screens that I'm going to cut up to make templates as well

Screw that air compressor

Get a 8-20lb C02 tank... no moisture trap needed and no noise .

Cost about $15 to fill up at any paintball place,beer brewery or welding supply store

The large yellow popper with the gils, I used a small pocket comb as a template.

The second popper and the frog popper were painted with the mesh bag that mentioned in my previous post,as a template for painting

post-64325-0-01922500-1555630330_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-12774000-1555630338_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-13946500-1555630370_thumb.jpg