Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Follow along on the build up

WOW Steve. I just got my computer back up and running and come to check out your rod. I'll have to take a few more days off to get my jaw back up off the floor now. :-)

Thanks Aqueous. Well worked on it some more today. Now have the 8th (or 9th can't remember exactly) coat of varnish on the grips. Also have the first coat of finish over the feather inlays (will need at least 2 more). Started the wraps as well and have the stripper wrapped (FUJI full titanium frame gold inserted ring) as well as the first running guide. Also decided to take a bit of a creative route and used a quill pen to draw a map of my favorite river which is pretty much my home away from home, the Au Sable, Over a thread base of black thread. It shows the river from the headwaters in Grayling to the mouth in Oscoda.

wrap.jpg

mapmwd.jpg

inlayfe.jpg

Steve

That is turning out so beautifull. I wouldnt have the nerve to fish it, LOL. Id probably just hang it on a wall and show everyone. I am curious though, do you have to worry about the varnish turning yellow or cracking on the cork?? Im guessing not, and what kind of varnish was that you are using?? Oh and what thread do you use by the way??

It's Minwax marine grade spar varnish. It's made for outdoors use so UV rays won't really have any affect on it. So sun and cracking isn't an issue. I use pretty much all Gudebrod threads. They have a wide range of colors and always good quality. Size is size "A" Nylon. The teal color has Color preserver applied to it.

Oh my goodness, that is amazing, pure attention to detail!

That inlay is gorgeous as with the wraps. Just had a question as i have no idea about building rods, have you ever tried an inlay like this? I think it would be gold thread? I know it's a big game set-up but wondering if that would work on a fly rod?

post-29540-0-07916100-1333255031_thumb.jpg

FFJ that's called a "weave" there. You can weave a lot of different things such as fish, flags, letters, basically lots of stuff can be done with a weave. Weaving is one thing I don't do. Main reason is because a really good weave can take up to 40-50 hours on just the weave alone, so there's no way it would be cost effective to do on customer rods unless they were paying $1000+ for the rod. And also it's something that is normally done on a large diameter ocean style rod where the blank is a large OD so that the weave looks better.

It takes some talent and I respect the guys that do weaves, but it's not something I have ever tried or really have much interest in doing though.

Steve

I bet when you're done the grip will telegraph even the lightest take through the blank to your hand. That is really over the top nice.

Still looking sweet as hell. I can not wait till I can get my hobby money back to start my rod. Watching you build this one is such great inspiration and making me wanting to dive right in. :-)

The new reel for it just came today. I spooled it up with some blue backing that matches the wraps on the rod as well as a Orvis Wonderline Salmon&Steelhead taper 7wt line. Couple more days and this rod will be ready for battle.

reelz.jpg

Damn, Steve, that is one of the nicest rods I've seen to date. I have the same reel by the way as it perfectly balances my TFO 5 weight switch rod.

Now tell me you are not going to use that rod wearing just any old fishing clothes, not to mention the hat!! (grin).

Rocco

Now tell me you are not going to use that rod wearing just any old fishing clothes, not to mention the hat!! (grin).

I think I'll mess with peoples minds and wear a Larry the cable guy sleeveless shirt and a "git'r done" baseball hat :lol: