Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fshrmanms

Few Poppers

These are a few poppers I made this week. Made a dozen of the "Tiger Pop" for the Bluegill Swap Club. The swap requires an offering that includes the color orange for April. Took one out for a test spin yesterday caught 13 bream and a 5 pound large-mouth bass in about an hour!

post-30867-0-08810600-1333633054_thumb.jpg

post-30867-0-46994700-1333633055_thumb.jpg

post-30867-0-35487500-1333633058_thumb.jpg

post-30867-0-17306800-1333633060_thumb.jpg

post-30867-0-53795200-1333633062_thumb.jpg

post-30867-0-54912900-1333633064_thumb.jpg

What did you use for the bodies of those?? They look fantastic!

I shaped the bodies from tupelo gum wood except the shad popper which is Wapsi Hard foam

These are a few poppers I made this week. Made a dozen of the "Tiger Pop" for the Bluegill Swap Club. The swap requires an offering that includes the color orange for April. Took one out for a test spin yesterday caught 13 bream and a 5 pound large-mouth bass in about an hour!

How did you make the heads ? Carve them ? You really did a great job ! milo

How did you make the heads:

yellow one was shaped with a knife and sandpaper, the others were turned on the lathe except the Shad which is Wapsi (got a pack of ten as a gift),

airbrush or copic system or other? :

airbrush (badger sg-100, (perfect for poppers holds four drops of paint at a time)), usually put a base color on with artist brush of airbrush, then add effects with the airbrush sprayed through netting/ comb/ or just to shade in another color. I use cotton swabs to paint the eyes, other objects like rods and nails to add dots or shapes (learned a lot from Stippled and Kirk's posts two popper pros.)

Nice airbrush work.

...airbrush (badger sg-100, (perfect for poppers holds four drops of paint at a time)), usually put a base color on with artist brush of airbrush, then add effects with the airbrush sprayed through netting/ comb/ or just to shade in another color...

I have a Paasche Talon with a top mounted cup but I've only used it a couple times. I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong or not but its very frustrating. Even though I'm using Creatix airbrush paint thinned out, it seems the paint dries as I'm using it or the flow rate and size of spray changes as I'm using it. Then when its time to change colors, I have to take it to my kitchen sink and take the needle out in order to clean it thoroughly for the next color. I tried just airbrushing clear water through the cup but it never gets out all the paint off the needle. Maybe that cleaning is part of it and I just have to do more bodies the same color to make it worth it? Do you have any experience with airbrushes or a good reference/tips source. Most of the videos I saw just talk about getting straight lines and practicing dots, etc.

...(learned a lot from Stippled and Kirk's posts two popper pros.)

I've learned a lot from Stippled and thanks, glad some of what I've posted has been of some help.

Kirk

I have a Paasche Talon with a top mounted cup but I've only used it a couple times. I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong or not but its very frustrating. Even though I'm using Creatix airbrush paint thinned out, it seems the paint dries as I'm using it or the flow rate and size of spray changes as I'm using it. Then when its time to change colors, I have to take it to my kitchen sink and take the needle out in order to clean it thoroughly for the next color. I tried just airbrushing clear water through the cup but it never gets out all the paint off the needle. Maybe that cleaning is part of it and I just have to do more bodies the same color to make it worth it? Do you have any experience with airbrushes or a good reference/tips source. Most of the videos I saw just talk about getting straight lines and practicing dots, etc.

I build a lot of plastic model kits, and what I do is thin the paint with appropriate thinners, to the consistency of semi skimmed milk, then, when putting it into the cup, strain it through a piece of old tights, or something similar, and then build up thin layers, after, take the nozzle off take apart the body (removing any rubber gaskets) then, I soak in white spirit, and dry thoroughly, and re-assemble. You might also need a moisture trap, on your air hose too as that will fudge up your paint, and some models are different, but a good general starting point is to set your pressure at about 15-20psi. Also, I forgot to add, depending on your paint, keep the appropriate thinner in a paint jar, and shoot that through between each colour, I spray into tissue until it goes clear, then, take the paint off, blast some more air through, then use the next paint. And for top mounted cups, small amount of paint, strained in as I said works wonders too

Nice airbrush work.

...airbrush (badger sg-100, (perfect for poppers holds four drops of paint at a time)), usually put a base color on with artist brush of airbrush, then add effects with the airbrush sprayed through netting/ comb/ or just to shade in another color...

...(learned a lot from Stippled and Kirk's posts two popper pros.)

I've learned a lot from Stippled and thanks, glad some of what I've posted has been of some help.

Kirk

Kirk, I don't thin the createx paints at all, when I spray the acrylics from the shelf at Walmart I thin about 30% to 50% until I get to about the same consistency as the createx paints. Walmart sells empty paint bottles in the craft section that are just like the createx bottles, I use them for mixing and/or thinning the colors.

I use back-pressure when I clear the tip on my brushes. I use a piece of hose so I don't take a chance of bending the tip of my needle, when I do the paasche vl I take off the small cup and put the jar of water on. When I do the badger which only has a divit for the paint I hold it in a bucket to backwash it.

Also I have experience similar clogs when I put the airbrush down for a few minutes increasing my air pressure seemed to help I normally spray at an air pressure of 28 to 30 pounds

post-30867-0-51044200-1333737916_thumb.jpg