Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Smith

Good Identification books?

What are some of the better books for doing BMI identification, especially mayfly, stone fly and Caddis nymphs.

im trying to id a majority of the critters that are in this local area as it has not been done before

-T

This book covers a lot of mayfly and caddis insects. I dont know if it covers stoneflies or not. It is a really good book but i havent gotten very far into it to know exactly what it covers.

Hatch Guide for New England Streams (Ames & Tibbets)

Dick Pobst does a pair of books one on mayflies and one on caddis flies. Very good books, I still keep the mayflies book in my vest.

Caddisflies by Gary LaFontaine, Stoneflies by Swisher,Richards,and Arbona, Aquatic Entolmology by W. Patrick McCafferty(the entolmoligist bible) Hatches and Hatches 2 by Caucci and Natasi, last the # 1 book by the entolomoligist of our times------Nymphs by Ernest Schwiebert...

These are all you need to identifiy insects..

Hatches II is definitely one of the best.

Also, "Mayflies, the Angler, and the Trout" by Fred Arbona.

Also, "Mayflies: An Angler's Study of Trout Water Ephemeroptera" by Knopp & Cormier.

Those are by far the three most useful books for practical identification right now... it's be hard to put them in order actually.

I hope to make my site a better identification resource than all of them this summer. I'm going to create a species key with all the raw information I can find from thousands of pages of scientific papers I'm photocopying. It's a huge project I'm doing this summer. I want to make it as easy as possible to identify stuff correctly, cause even with the three good books above it's really hard in most cases and very often impossible to get it correct.