Fly Tying
mainbutter

Your analysis of my bass/pike streamers

I'm still learning to tie, and appreciate comments on my tying on ways I might improve the end result.

Here are some sz 1 streamers I tied up recently. The left are FTD silver widwow and two colors of crosscut rabbit.

The right ones are straight cut rabbit and two colors of crosscut rabbit.

dscf2391r.jpg

Thoughts?

i like them personally but im a beginner as well so my opinion doesn't carry as much weight as the better experienced tiers on this page. what material is the brown

Mainbutter, I too am a beginner....I have been tying since the 90's but am still learning every time I sit at the tying bench. The only bit of advice I can offer is try to get a consistant head out of your fly. If you look at the six above, all six have a different looking head. The top right green fellow has a nicely tapered and finished head that is not too big or too small for this size of a fly. Other than that you seem to be a fast learner.

the top left brown fly & the middle right green fly are your best 2.

they have proportions,taper,head everything correctly.

im sure all your flies will catch fish but these 2 caught my eye

they are all junk mail them to me for proper disposal :lol:

ok jokes over lets get serious like BFR said the brown one on top is by far the best not sure what you were going for on the green one at the bottom though on this one since you asked for some tips the tail is to short I think you forgot the hair hackle wrap and the head is needing some more time spent on it creating a neater more tappered head I am very impressed with your mastery of palmering your crosscut rabbit strips creating such a nice collar

Guest rich mc

they look very nice, a few small improvements as others have mentioned. other question to ask yourself is how do they look in the water? and how do they cast with the weight rod you have. keep on tying rich mc

To answer a few Qs

The brown is crosscut rabbit, the chartreuse is crosscut rabbit for the head and straight cut for the tails. The red is crosscut rabbit. The silver/olive tails are FTD silver widow mixed synthetic fibers and flash.

The bottom right one was just something different with a little less material, just left off the head and had a short tail. Figured I'd include it in the photoshoot since it was part of the same evening's ties.. not exactly a fly I consider a success lol.

As for how they look in the water and how they cast, I don't know yet (sadface). I don't think I can pass off any of these flies as something I can use to target in-season fish right now in Minnesota. For now I'm limited to chasing bluegills and crappies.

if you find them to heavy to cast when wet you can tie some new ones using the cross cut rabbit strip in a dubbing loop just cut the hide off twist it up and wrap it the hide is what gets heavy by soaking up a ton of water should be ok on a 7wt though

Nice ties!

Let the fishs be the judge afterall they no doubt all be good. When tying streamers I will always try to go 2 1/2 time the length of hook shank.

I agree with Riffleriversteelheadslayer about the weight issue. My first pike flies were heavy on the rabbit and a nightmare to cast. Ok if you're on a boat and can roll cast them up and then out.