Fly Tying
Kytroutbum

Microwaving to bug eggs in Calftails

I just found bugs in my calf tails hair. I am going to wash them but would like to microwave it to kill any eggs. Does anyone have info on how long it is necessary? I also have been using flea colors in my necks, which seems to be working, anyone have opinions on them. Randall

I micro my kitchen sponge to disinfect it. Only takes about 15 seconds on high to be scalding hot. I also put flour, corn meal and any cereal that I will have around for several months in the microwave to rid it of any bugs/eggs. I leave it in until the box gets good and warm. Maybe takes 1-2 minute. I've never had a problem with critters when so treated. As for tying material, I have never used the microwave. I assume that it will also take about a minute. Since it works on the moisture in the critters, If the feather or fur gets warm the bug and eggs have probably exploded. I would test a small sample to be sure the microwave has no adverse effect on the material itself. Sorry, I don't have any specific experience with tying material.

Times that I've used a microwave, I only went about 10-15 seconds at a time on high. Longer than that & it starts to cook the material, particularly if there's a bone still in the tails. If you have doubts about whether or not this is enough time, then do it about 3 times, allowing some cooling in between.

I've never tried, but have read that Flea collars work on some insects, but not all. I don't think they deter moths for example.

Wash them good, then try the microwave. But afterwards, put them in a zip lock bag & place in the freezer for several days. That should take care of anything that might be left.

Make a point to never put newly acquired material in with older. I usually put new stuff right in the freezer for several days. Always keep them in a sealed package, or sealed container with chemicals or whatever you prefer to deter insects. Make sure you inspect bags to make sure they seal properly & for tears or holes. I've seen many that had staple holes in them from labels, even that small hole is a possible entrance for bugs.

Never leave materials out where they can be exposed to the possibility of insects, particularly at night when they're most active. If you leave materials exposed out on a desk overnight & there are bugs around, it's certainly possible the material can get infested. Been there.

Always keep materials as clean as possible. Often it's the protein in the "dirt" that gets on the material that attracts the insects, not the material itself, but once they're there, it's too late.

Hope it works out for you!

I don't think it's necessary to microwave kip tails, unless they contain moth eggs. Nothing I know of that eats hair.

This is a very good question even though it has been discussed often in the past.

First thing is that I never, ever get any materials from anyone but a reputable dealer, it's just to risky. In the past when I did I first put them in air tight baggies and placed them in the freezer for 2 weeks, took them out and put them straight into the micro for 20 seconds and then back into the freezer for 2 weeks. I then isolated them for a couple of weeks and then washed them to make sure there were no bugs. If I ever do it again just before I wash the material I'll probably dip it in Ortho bug killer. The Ortho kills the eggs too.

In about 1978 I met a guy who had a small fly museum in a small coastal town in Oregon, he had thousands of flies stored in map cases and he used plug chewing tobacco to protect them from bugs, and that's how I protect mine. My favorite tobacco is the butt end of my smoked cigars. Laugh, but it works.

Mel

I just found bugs in my calf tails hair. I am going to wash them but would like to microwave it to kill any eggs. Does anyone have info on how long it is necessary? I also have been using flea colors in my necks, which seems to be working, anyone have opinions on them. Randall

I would suggest you microwave them before you wash them. The hair and skin are bound to absorb some water and the heat generated by microwaving may harm the hair.

I've done the microwave, freeze, microwave and never saw any bugs. Also I've stuck stuff in a bag with a moth ball and again never seen any bugs. (don't normally bother washing.) If the stuff (roadkill donation etc) looks a bit ropey or too dirty I just don't bother in the first place. It isn't worth the fuss when there is so much stuff available. And I agree, don't store with shop bought stuff till your certain its clean.