Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TradLifeForEver

A little Help!!!!!!!!!!!&#

All I have never tied fly's before and I'm looking for a new hobbie. I am currenlty deployed over seas in Afghanistan so I'm going to order all my tying equipment pretty soon. Could one of ya'll send me a good equipment list of everything that I would need to start tying. I looked at kits but I think I'd rather order seperate items. Looking to be able to build poppers, and flies for bass, bream, crappie. With that said what materials would I need. Like I said I've never tied before so any info would be great. Thanks for your time.

renzetti travel vise

anvil or dr. slick scissors

magnum ceramic bobbins at least 2

english style hackle pliers

long reach whip finnish tool

bodkin

2 sided razor blades

magnum hair stacker

shoe goo & epoxy

head cement

100 OR 200 GSP thread

that should get you started with the basic tools for bass flies

my help is nothing compared to yours thank you

There is a bit of a thread already on some of this if you try looking at Farmchics post Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:23 AM

Hi! I'm just getting started and feel a kit would be the best place for me to start. If I like it and stick with it I'll upgrade as needed. I'm not even sure what tools are must haves as some of the kits are quite large. Can you recommend one to get started with?

Thanks!

My own view is buy stuff seperate cause my experience of kits is mostly cheap stuff thrown together. You will be safe with 8/0 thread in black or tan for nearly all the flies. You can use nail varnish that someone in Stan must have to coat the head of the flies. There is another thread running about popper bodies and wood or cork of foam so have a hunt around the warmwater forum and you'll find loads.

I don't know what you are wanting to spend but I would suggest a Dan-vise for less than a hundred bucks or even a cheap vise for around $20 that would probably last you a couple of years of normal use. Unless you are intending spinning deer hair GSP is not needed. I use 6/0 thread most of the time but 3/0 is sometimes better for large flys and poppers. I am sure you can get along with only 1 bobbin but more does save you time if you will be changing thread often. I only use one bobbin but bobbin threader makes life a lot easier. A bodkin is required. Mine are all home made. Just a large needle pushed into a wood dowel for a handle. It is a great hobby and will serve you for many years if you desire. There is no end to buying materials. Buy just what you need to start and add as you require. Don't forget glues and head cement. I use fingernail polish. I use epoxy to glue popper bodies to hooks.

I'd have to agree with Piker20, cause kits always seem to be all of the company's cheap materials thrown together with a bonus DVD or something.I got all of my materials one peice at a time, and I think doing this is better because it shows you how to become proficent with one material before moving to the next, with the help of some books or the masters on this site. And as for getting the materials listed above, I'd reccomend Bass Pro Shops, Orvis, and Ebay. I really hope you take to the delightful "torture" of fly fishing and fly tying like all of us have. And thank you so much for serving our wonderful country :)

Forever in your Debt,

Carson LeBoeuf

Here I go contradicting cold water fishermen with tiny flies, but if you are new to tying, forget hair. Go with foam, which comes in pre-formed shapes for various poppers or terrestrials. THis is a good way to start because you can put your imagination to work with tails and legs but don't have the frustration of making an unsatisfactory body.

For warm water you probably want:

Renzetti Traveler Vise

Dr. Slick or equivalent 4" curled and straight scissors

Two bobbins (at least)

Danville flat waxed nylon thread (hard to break by accident)

Medium and micro chenille

Foam or foam bodies (for now start with bodies)

Mustad 37817 hooks for large poppers

Mustad 3261 hooks for wet flies (cheap cricket hook that works great for bluegill/crappie patterns)

Maribou

Rubber legs (Jannsnetcraft.com sells them cheap)

bucktail (white for sure)

half hitch tool (or just use a ballpoint without the point)

decent hackle for whinding on wooly buggers

flashaboo (gives sparkle to popper tails and chenile bodies)

Good Luck

Youre vice and youre scissors are where you want to spend youre money, I recommend a pair of Anvil scissors the handles are adjustable (just bend them to suit) so they will be more comfortable since youre gonna want to get use to tying with the scissors in youre hand, just alot more convient, (the 6th finger scissors offered on this site would probably be great to thow I havent tried them out yet but I've got to have a pair)The Danvice that ditz mentioned is relatively in-expensive but of good quality it will hold a wide range of hook sizes, it rotates and will serve you for years. You will also need a bodkin (a big needle in a wooden dowel will do) a hair packer, a rotating whip finisher, a bobbin and bobbin treader, and some hackle pliers there are several kits out there that have all of these in a set. As far as material is concerned for bass bream and crappie some strung marabou in various colors, chenille, strung hackle in various colors (far less expensive than saddles or capes), rubber leg material, flash material, zonker strips rabbit or squrriel, deer tail, peacock herl, bead chain or lead eyes popper bodies (which you can make with balsa, cork, foam)maybe some lead wire for weighting. Once you get into this you will never have enough material but these are all good staples to start with and will give you alot of options for streamers, wolly buggers, clousers, and even nymphs. Starting out I would recommend Danville Flymaster Plus tread in a 210 Denier its a bit thick for small flies but it is pretty strong theres nothing more frustrating than breaking you're tread when you're just about done with a fly, it'll give you something to work with until you get a feel for tying. As for adhesives Sally Hansen hard as nails will do most of what you will need you can use it as a glue for you're base and a head finish too super glue works pretty good for attaching popper bodies. You know there are alot of different options out there for tools and materials which can be a bit overwhelming, if you go back and look at the post theres always some body seeking advice on which vise, bobbins, ect. ect. really it's just a matter of preferrence and at end of the day for me it comes down to what you get used to, I started out with a cheap kit that I tied with for three years before I wore the vice out it left alot to be desired but I had a blast learning with it. You are difinately on the right track, the advice of the guys on this site is worth it's wieght in gold, but it is far less valuable than the service you are providing so I want to Thank You and I hope you find more joy in you're new hobby than the rest of us combined

Thanks

Chris

Sent you a PM. I'm in Afghanistan too and spend most of my evenings behind the vice. Depending where you're at i may be able to help you out a bit with some pointers from the little bit i know. I tie mostly salmon and trout flies but basics are basics.

Sent you a PM. I'm in Afghanistan too and spend most of my evenings behind the vice. Depending where you're at i may be able to help you out a bit with some pointers from the little bit i know. I tie mostly salmon and trout flies but basics are basics.

Im at the IJC. Where are you at. Would like to get toghter and learn what I can from you if possible.