Fly Tying
TOM PRUETT

MAY 2012 ---FLIES FROM THE VISE

And the prevailing wind is from the back off the right shoulder so ideal for getting a near full line out which is not normal for me.

Love flycasting on the flats or beach, just for the reason that it feels really good when your double haul is going and you shoot out the entire line. Don't get too many chances to do it, but i have a cottage in the great southern land about 10 metres from the flats, sometimes i prefer snorkeling around trying to chase the bonefish schools :) It's a hard life!

PC230970.jpg

If we had the climate you guys get it would be full of bikinis and beachhuts but its more like wooly hats and thermals for us. Still the fish don't mind and it has warmed up enough for bass now. Waiting for the mullet to make it my way north currently about 50-80miles south east. They will be awesome to chase on the fly.

There are some porbeagle sharks not far south that come surprisingly close when the salmon run. Wouldn't mind hitting one of them on the fly.

For fishing here. North sea about 100m left.

post-42518-0-62756600-1337780631_thumb.jpg

Will you be there tonight? I have tried that area but I think I went too far towards the mouth. I did get one quick tug but that was all.

Nice flies btw. Do you find you need any with weight? I will have to try to arrange my next day off for when the tides are right for an evening there. And tie up some flies for the job.

On a different note these are what I've been working on this month.

For Atlantic Salmon-

Size14Cascade_0043_edited-1.jpg

Cascade on size 14 LW Double.

TubesforTrout_0042_edited-1.jpg

Ally's Shrimp also size 14.

WillieGunn_0003_edited-1copy.jpg

Willie Gunns all sizes from 6 to 14.

GMTool_0051_edited-1.jpg

Green Machine in sizes 8 and 10.

For Trout-

VNPackage_0007_edited-1.jpg

Wet Hawthorn Fly Size 14.

BiColour_0001_edited-1.jpg

My ByColour Nymph In various sizes from 12 down.

CaddisE_0005_edited-1.jpg

Emerging Caddis Pupa in size 10.

Cheers,

C.

Like the emergers. I can be down tonight around 7ish. I'll be the guy catching them all ;) Low tides due just after 8 and sunset 9 so should be good for somefish. Especially if this cloud stays around. Went yesterday with the kids and saw a few fish jump as the tide was turning.

I haven't found weight any help at all. The fish are right in the kelp and 80% of my hits are right on top normally just as I straighten up to the fly. I spent most of last year with intermediate lines and didn't catch a thing. Even on spinners my hits have been right on top, normally resulting in an air born fish and thrown lure.

I'm tempted. It isn't as late as I thought it might be. If you see someone walking down there tonight it'll be me. I'll get to the vice and tie something suitable.

Cheers,

C.

a good website I've found for accurate tides and times is http://www.tides4fishing.com/

I don't tend to follow the whole moon phase thing for fishing but it can be relied on for the time of golspie tides.

Might not be down there tonight after all as wife has huge list of garden jobs out. But you'll probably see me most weeks down there. I'll PM you next time I'm definately out there. If you stand under the elec wires. Look left and the kelp sort of finishes next to a bank where the water flows around back behind you. Fish that point and don't cast far!

Hello, this is my first post on this forum, and here's some of what I've been working on the last few weeks, mostly deer hair warm water stuff, there's a mouserat with foam tail and ears, diving frog, gerbuggle bug, foam VIP poppers, deer hair poppers, Gorilla Dragonflies, a couple patterns I haven't named, first one's a dry with mallard flank tail, dubbed hairtron body, rubber legs, foam wing, and badger saddle, seconds a wet, dumbell eyes, dubbed hairline body, rubber hackle tail and legs and palmered grizzly hackle. Last one is a Skipper Frog. Sorry if the pictures aren't great. Let me know what you think

post-43208-0-88510400-1337930590_thumb.jpg

post-43208-0-78332500-1337930615_thumb.jpg

post-43208-0-22731200-1337930642_thumb.jpg

post-43208-0-78469100-1337930684_thumb.jpg

post-43208-0-17254000-1337930718_thumb.jpg

post-43208-0-75600300-1337930744_thumb.jpg

post-43208-0-39997000-1337930768_thumb.jpg

post-43208-0-75407200-1337930861_thumb.jpg

post-43208-0-31793000-1337930931_thumb.jpg

post-43208-0-08627300-1337930959_thumb.jpg

vcsu22:

Very nice ties. If I am seeing the flies correctly, you are using soft foam discs for the eyes on many of the flies

your posted. That is an interesting idea I can't remember seeing before.

vcsu22:

Very nice ties. If I am seeing the flies correctly, you are using soft foam discs for the eyes on many of the flies

your posted. That is an interesting idea I can't remember seeing before.

You are correct sir, a couple years ago I experimented with making eyes, mostly due to the lack of available tying material in my area, and after a few different attempts this is what I came up with. They are super simple to make, I have a 6 mm paper hole puncher, the single pliers type, and a sharpie, the sharpie will smear so I glue them on first, then draw pupils. Sometimes I coat them with Hard as Nails, but that can run the ink of the pupil's too. I've also dabbled with coating them in epoxy, but the advantage to these is simplicity and one less step is okay with me. I'm guessing there's a marker out there that works better with foam that I'm not aware of. Like living things the eyes are the window to the soul, and I'm not 100% sold that on all patterns they improve it's fishing ability, but they give your fly character. The foam also gives a little more float which never hurts on a soggy deer hair fly.

Hi guys, kind of a newb here, but I didn't want to clog up the beginner's corner with shots of flies. This is my version of the Hardy Demon streamer, sz 10 hook, red chenille tail,flashabou body, and copper ultrawire ribbing. Beard is ginger rooster saddle, wing is peacock hurl. Thread is black 140 ultra.

--Dave

562118_471040946243812_303175895_n.jpg

As you said, its your version. The origional has a blue hackle, and a red wool "tag" for the tail. Your pattern looks pretty sugestive of a perch, so it should be a good one.

Got some stuff from the Clear Cure Goo folks, including 'tack free' and my new favourite 'hydro' - eliminates the need for head cement and sally hansen, comes with a nice little brush applicator. Also grabbed some of their new eyes.

Fusia Mirror Minnow #8, 0.015 leadfree wire and just micro rabbit strip and some silver dubbing spun in a split thread, a white marabou throat and clear cure eyes, head is finished with 'tack free' to keep it all together.

P5261577.jpg

I even tied an olive wooley, leadfree wire and tungsten bead, mono thread and nice new spirit river UV marabou

P5261579.jpg

Had some leftover Guinea from another tie, this part was the thick stem so i just palmered it on a hook with beadchain and pink holotinsel body, the pink salmon should chew it.

P5261582.jpg

Little size #8 EP minnow with a bit of flash and clear cure eye, sorry i messed the head up a bit.

P5261583.jpg

ahh oops i think i made the images a bit big!