Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
gmandave

Hi from Michigan

Hi guys! My name's Dave. I just started tying this week and I'm having a blast, though I'm sure I'm not doing things quite right. I just wanted to drop in, say hi, and attach a couple of photos of the flies I've done in the last couple of days. I'm halfway through the book that came with the Waspi kit, and midway gave a mini woolly a shot.

What patterns should I focus on?

-Dave

7e77cbb496f111e1be6a12313820455d_7.jpg96b1f802971511e1a8761231381b4856_7.jpg535876_456464607701446_100000137330441_97292867_1361886857_n.jpg

Hi Dave- looks pretty good for first attempts..much better than mine did. Quite a few of us on here from Michigan... as for patterns to tie, what will you be fishing and where at? Rivers, streams, lakes, ponds? Not specific locations just the types of waters...

Hi Dave- looks pretty good for first attempts..much better than mine did. Quite a few of us on here from Michigan... as for patterns to tie, what will you be fishing and where at? Rivers, streams, lakes, ponds? Not specific locations just the types of waters...

I'm down in southwest Michigan near Three Rivers. Right now I've been bank fishing at a few of the larger rivers. I'm eager to hit a few streams as well. I first learned fly-fishing on bluegill down in central Texas. I've only been up here around... six months or so. :)

Dave, welcome to fly tying. You are off to a good start. I have been tying for about 50 years. It is great hobby and also a great stress re-leaver after a hard day at work. You might want to go on you-tube and search fly tying, they have hundreds of great video's. Also check around an see if there is a T.U or F.F.F. club in your area. I am from Grand Rapids, we have tying club here in town called " grand river fly tiers". Here is the web site www.grandriverflyfyers.org. Remember, practice,practice,practice makes perfect.:D

Dave, welcome to fly tying. You are off to a good start. I have been tying for about 50 years. It is great hobby and also a great stress re-leaver after a hard day at work. You might want to go on you-tube and search fly tying, they have hundreds of great video's. Also check around an see if there is a T.U or F.F.F. club in your area. I am from Grand Rapids, we have tying club here in town called " grand river fly tiers". Here is the web site www.grandriverflyfyers.org. Remember, practice,practice,practice makes perfect.:D

Streamcaddis, it's addictive! I've got flies on the brain, and I can't wait to get home and look around for a new pattern. :D Thank goodness my wife has a lot of patience.

Streamcaddis, it's addictive! I've got flies on the brain, and I can't wait to get home and look around for a new pattern. :D Thank goodness my wife has a lot of patience.

I know the problem. I just hope she doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

Hello, I am also from the Grand Rapids MI area. Is there a group of folks who get together to tie flies or anywhere I can go to learn more how to tie different flies?

Im lovin tying so far but always want to learn more. would love any help out there.