Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CurtisSteinhauer

Steelhead Fly Hook Selection

Hey, just finished reading through Trey Combs old book Steelhead FLy Fishing, and, as with every read through of that book, I focused in on something. There is a portion of that book where Mr. Combs is talking about how traditional Salmon Hooks don't ride right in the water. He says that you need a shorter heavier hook than what they are marketed for to get the fly to ride right in the fast currents we deal with. He also asserts that Spey flies are the most structurally unstable fly because of its small wing and large hackle. Anyone agree or disagree with this? Is this one of those things that modern technology and improved hook quality than from 15 years ago has taken care of? Any thoughts are appreciated.

i have noticed any hook can roll over.

lots of things cause roll such as how the fly is tied or how heavy the current is.

some hooks such as the curved caddis always roll over.

the addition of beads,cones,lead,epoxy or eyes can cause roll over.

i think that flies tied in the round are the best way not to over think this.

Yes spey flies do have a tendency to roll over on the side from time to time, but they are not on there side during the entire swing. That tendency to roll over can also produce a strike too.

The knot that is used can help prevent the fly from rolling over on its side as well. A turle knot comes to mind.

Modern hook technology and quality has not improved things.

If you look at the 'old' Scottish salmon flies with married wings and the like, they don't fish in a perfect cosmetic fashion but they caught plenty of fish. The Atlantic Salmon isn't feeding in fresh water anyway and the scientists still can't say what they take the fly for. My personal feeling is the fly needs to be the right size, depth and speed and have plenty of movement to aggrevate that fish. If it 'swims' side on or upside down I don't think matters, especially in the faster flows. Fish just grabs out at it.

Thanks guys. Combs makes a pretty big deal of this. I guess when all you do is tie and fish flies for steelhead you can afford to over think details like this. Good replies though, I think I'm going to stop putting so much thought into this.

I came from doing saltwater type stuff where you would use leadfree wire/ beadchain/ keels/ and wings to make sure your fly swam correctly, i have had refusals when stripping back and the fly flips on its side.

When swinging for steel or salmon i don't think the fish gets too long to decide wether to kill the fly or not, and piker20 i rekon nailed it, as long as the fly is swinging past the fish's nose you are in with a chance. These spey flies have a certain 'flutter'.

Like Frank said use a 'turle knot' but i have been experimenting with threading the fly right up onto the tippet, then tying a rapala loop, then push the fly through the loop and you have a straight line connection. Not only is that up eye disturbing how the fly rides but think of what it is doing to your hook set.

Some patterns such as comets use beadchain and weighting to ride properly. Now we just need someone to experiment with bendback spey flies.

I dunno i like to think about this stuff too *grin*