Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bassbuster

Starting young

My six year old asked me if I was busy because he wanted to make a fly. I set him up with my old vise, some extra materials and gave him the reigns and to my surprise the end result was not too much worse than my first fly.

I am sure I'm not the only father out there that let's the kids have a turn at the vise once in a while and I think it would be cool to see what they can come up with. Who knows they may create a pattern that kills by accident.

I started when i was about 7 or so, i actually started by trying to tie some dog hair onto a hook. My grandpa bought me a fly tying kit so i could get started, after making a dozen or so flies with him guiding me he let me loose, and about 200 flies worth of hooks, materials, and thread later i started to get something that was at least fishable i caught a fish and i was hooked. there is still nothing like catching a fish on a fly that you made with your own two hands.

My oldest is 6 in july and I have let her direct my tying every so often. She often matches colours I would never think to use and they work well. Hopefully when she's a bit bigger she will want to tie her own. If not there are two more following her.

Here is a fly she directed me on. Didn't think it would catch and its a pain to cast but it caught some pike on a day all else was failing. post-42518-0-44975300-1336809174_thumb.jpg

The yellow one hasn't had a fish yet but should be the same. post-42518-0-85682500-1336809223_thumb.jpg

My two oldest started tying when they were 6 and 7. Sometimes they make their own (with help of course) and sometimes they tell me how to make mine. Some have turned out pretty well, despite some different colour combinations. My youngest is almost 2 and I'm sure he'll probably start earlier. Just hope I can keep them interested as I'm sure they'll be much better at it then I am.

My two oldest started tying when they were 6 and 7. Sometimes they make their own (with help of course) and sometimes they tell me how to make mine. Some have turned out pretty well, despite some different colour combinations. My youngest is almost 2 and I'm sure he'll probably start earlier. Just hope I can keep them interested as I'm sure they'll be much better at it then I am.

Yeah I hope that mine would rather be up a hill fishing some quiet loch than in the street causing grief. Hopefully they'll catch the bug if they get to some catch waters early enough. I have a local stocked water that allows bait and fly so hopefully in the summer hols she can land her first proper fish.

Yeah I hope that mine would rather be up a hill fishing some quiet loch than in the street causing grief. Hopefully they'll catch the bug if they get to some catch waters early enough. I have a local stocked water that allows bait and fly so hopefully in the summer hols she can land her first proper fish.

I agree that many kids would be mush better off if they had a hobbie that would keep them out of trouble. To be honest I wouldn't really care what it was that they are doing as long as they are keeping their nose clean.

I agree that many kids would be mush better off if they had a hobbie that would keep them out of trouble. To be honest I wouldn't really care what it was that they are doing as long as they are keeping their nose clean.

And at least fishing can be as cheap or expensive as you want to make it. Not like ponies or other things I have nightmares about. :( :lol:

My 5 Year old son started expressing an interest in tying so I set him up. Bought him his own bobbin and scissors. O mostly just let him do whatever he wants but recently I have been helping him out with some skills. he actually tied a pretty decent bugger with a little bit of help. now when I come home from work he usually wants to tie. I was looking at new vices the other day and he said he should get the new one and I can use the old one.

This is encouraging, my son is 7, I think im going to let him start this week.

At times I just like to watch him and end up laughing as he struggles to make anything, I love it. Its a great hobby for the kids to take up and hag out with dad lol

My oldest is 9 and he caught half a dozen bluegills on his first ever tied fly yesterday. It looked liked a soft hackled scud bead headed bugger? Any way proud dad here. :)

My daughter turned 6 in March and she started tying this winter. She sits on my lap and I have lent a hand to help with a few of the trickier moves. But she does fairly well. The first has been set aside and labeled as her first. The rest are going with us to the Black Hills tomorrow.

Deeky

You do realise that as a female she'll not only catch more than you but also take the biggest of the trip! Good luck and hope you catch enough to catch her interest. Let us know how it goes.