Fly Tying
Ebrant10

Trout Nymph Swap?

Got some sweet looking mega princes yesterday from imx. This is really comming together everybody, keep up the good work!

Got some sweet looking mega princes yesterday from imx. This is really comming together everybody, keep up the good work!

in the mail this morning Evan I tied the extras like I asked hope you guys like them thanks for hosting

Riff,

Your flies came in today. They look great, well tied! Thanks for the extras!

Evan

Finally made a decision I'm going to go with a wired version of the 20 incher in a size 10. It's pretty much looks like a big version of the copper john, but it is one of my favorite point fly's. It's heavy and catches lots of fish for me.

Got your flies in the mail today, clean tie!

Your frenchmans damsels came today, they are sweet! And thanks so much for the all the materials and hooks. They are greatley appreciated! One question thou the straight eye hooks, are they size 11?

Yes they are size 11. I got a bunch of really old mustad hooks from EBAY a couple of years ago with lots of odd sizes and numbers I've never heard of. They are still good hooks and I hope you can find a use for them.

As far as fishing my damsel nymph, I fish it under an indicator on a floating line. I generally use 3-4" strips with a few second pause in between. If the damselfly nymphs are migrating the trout really go for this pattern, at least on the Sierra lakes I fish. They continue to hit it weeks after the hatch has ended. Those damsel nymphs must be pretty tasty, at least to a rainbow!! :rolleyes:

Your frenchmans damsels came today, they are sweet! And thanks so much for the all the materials and hooks. They are greatley appreciated! One question thou the straight eye hooks, are they size 11?

Yes they are size 11. I got a bunch of really old mustad hooks from EBAY a couple of years ago with lots of odd sizes and numbers I've never heard of. They are still good hooks and I hope you can find a use for them.

As far as fishing my damsel nymph, I fish it under an indicator on a floating line. I generally use 3-4" strips with a few second pause in between. If the damselfly nymphs are migrating the trout really go for this pattern, at least on the Sierra lakes I fish. They continue to hit it weeks after the hatch has ended. Those damsel nymphs must be pretty tasty, at least to a rainbow!! :rolleyes:

I expect they will also be quite palatable to the Cutthroats I fish for in the alpine lakes in Idaho. I had a whale of a time pulling in about 60 fish in 2 hours last year on damsel flies themselves. Er, yeah, the actual bug: I didn't have any tied damsels with me, so I used my net and caught some, putting them on the hook of a fly I stripped off. I would have caught more fish but I ran out of damel flies I could catch! This year I have several damsel fly patterns to try out so we'll see what happens.

I expect the nymph pattern to open up the window 3-4 weeks - a week before the hatch and a few after. I'm going to have to learn how to tie them, but first I want to see what size they are in the lakes. Maybe I do have a reason to put together that stream-side tying kit after all...

Does anyone know: does the color of the nymph relate to the color of the damsel fly itself? Or are the nymphs all olive-colored?

Jimboha!

I'm sure they all vary in shades of olive from nearly black to quite pale but the size varies most. I'm pretty sure that a fish hitting nymphs wouldn't say no to a nymph that was a size too big though if it had the right shape and movement.

Flies done and packaged, just waiting on me to ship 'em out....hopefully tomorrow

Murray

I hope pictures get taken of the swap flies. I am very curious to see the wired version of the 20 incher.

Flies done and packaged, just waiting on me to ship 'em out....hopefully tomorrow

Murray

Awesome Murray looking forward to seeing them!

I hope pictures get taken of the swap flies. I am very curious to see the wired version of the 20 incher.

I hope to take pictures of each fly when I get them all the 20 pincher is awesome looking!