Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hoop235

Being Left Handed & Vises

Newbie looking to get into fly tying and I'm wondering if there are any differences in vises for a left handed person? I'm looking at a Peak or Danvise to get started and I noticed the Danvise has parts included to change it to a left handed model. Is this an important feature or just a minor adjustment that left handers are used to making all the time? Any left handers out there to chime in and help me out.

I am left handed, and find very few problems with most vises. Simply turn a cam operated vise to point to the left and your good. Some of the lever closed jaws like the Danvise, have an adjustment screw that may get in the way a little, but usually these can be worked with. The Danvise piece looks like it may be a different slide for the jaws, which would put the knob on the back side for a left handed tier.

Converting any vise should be a quick easy one time thing. I have done my Nor-vise in just a couple of minutes, and its no problem.

The Regal vises simply need the lever arm re positioned to the other side. This is done with an Allen wrench.

I'm not left handed but that's the way I tie. I use a Regal, and like utyer has said, no problem at all. I tie with the lever arm towards me, and have gotten used to it this way. :)

I am and I use a Dyna King. I just turned it around and put the screw on the other side for the tention. I dont have any problems.

Kevin

I am a lefty, and I use a Renzetti Traveler. But I tie right handed, materials in my left hand which gives me better control on the placement of materials, and my right hand wraps the thread, etc.

Bill

P.S. Sometimes I wonder if being left handed is a curse. Did my mother p*** off somebody when she was pregnant with me?

I am a lefty, and I use a Renzetti Traveler. But I tie right handed, materials in my left hand which gives me better control on the placement of materials, and my right hand wraps the thread, etc.

Bill

P.S. Sometimes I wonder if being left handed is a curse. Did my mother p*** off somebody when she was pregnant with me?

Left handed people are the only people in the right mind!! :lol: :rolleyes:

Kevin

I can't speak for the Danvice but I learned to tie on a peak rotary and I can say you will have no problems. Same for the HMH or Dyna King. I did decide immediately against the Renzetti due to the hook adjustment being on the opposite side. I'm not sure if this can be switched or not but it didn't look like it could.

I can't speak for the Danvice but I learned to tie on a peak rotary and I can say you will have no problems. Same for the HMH or Dyna King. I did decide immediately against the Renzetti due to the hook adjustment being on the opposite side. I'm not sure if this can be switched or not but it didn't look like it could.

Renzetti sells a left handed versions of their vises designated by a R or L after the model #.

http://www.renzetti.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79&Itemid=194

"To utilize the custom features of this vise it must be ordered for the Right ® or Left (L) hand tyer ."

Thanks for all of the replys guys! I'm really leaning towards the Peak vise as I like the smaller size and it looks like it's very well made for my price range.

I'm also a lefty but tie as a righty (we always need to adapt to something as lefties, don't we) I have the Peak and it works very well for me.