Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
michiganborn

Favorite smallmouth patterns?

I keep my fly box really simple in contrast. And, at this point i hardly tie any smallie flies because i use so few. Any hard body poppers, Todd's wiggle minnow, and the tequilly fly are my go to's.

toddsWiggleMinFT.jpg

Tequeely%20Tiffs%20024.jpg

The only fly I use is a black wooly bugger. Ive caught countless SM on it and often they hit it without much enticing.

That is a great fly assortment that Tidewater has accumulated. There are some very imaginative flies among them. Some of the flies appear to be quite large and probably on the heavy side when soaked. I was just curious as to what size rig TW fishes when targeting smallmouth.

Ditz2, first most any of these can be sized up or down. I use many of the same flies for different species, and adjust the sizes accordingly. What rod weight I use will depend on where I'm fishing. There are some small streams I've fished where I might use a 3 or 4 wt, or bigger waters, I might use my 6 wt, or even heavier with a 8 wt. Although I don't usually go heavier than an 8 wt when targeting Smallmouths, if I'm "just fishing", in some place like the section of Susquehanna here in MD below Conowingo Dam, I might even opt for a 9 or 10 wt, as there are often Striped Bass there as well. I once hooked several LM & SM bass in that section of river while throwing big saltwater size topwater lures for Stripers. The bass aren't shy about trying to eat something as big as they are.

You're correct that some of those can get quite heavy when wet. I don't let that deter me from using them however, because they're productive. But, for any type of bass fishing I do, I'm rarely casting more than 40 ft, so that extra weight is not a big problem. If I had to make a lot of longer casts, then they would become very tiring very quickly.

Thanks TW.....I never considered the Smb and LMB all mixed in together. You coastal guys just have it made. I also did not think about 30 or 40' casts. That does make a difference. A 2wt in my normal warmwater smallcreek rod but I am intending to widen my fishing horizons this year with the yak and I intend to dig out either a 6 or 7wt rod for some large flies. Come on warm weather.

I fish my local creek/small rivers here in Illinois and i use a 6wt. I like to throw Murdich minnows, Clousers and crayfish/hellgrammite patterns. Only thing is that there are a few bruiser 3 to 4lb smallies and sometimes i wonder if a 6wt is big enough? Those are nice flies bullship. Does that top one fish well in a river?

My best producers have been any variation of the red faced wabbler or the bronze goddess. Both were featured in the fly tyer magazine. However, big small mouths on a mouse fly is increadable. Don't catch many, but the ones that you do are BIG.

Wow, it took a while to pick this thread up again, but I'll add to it. I have two go to flies. Double XL Bomber. The Schlappen really comes alive then it hits the water. Strip it or let it sit. See what they want that day. file://localhost/Users/Daddy/Desktop/DSCN1625.JPG

My second fly is a Lithuanian Bat. Very simple tie and very productive.

I found this at FlyFishOhio.com

Michael, that Double XL Bomber is an interesting fly! I used to tie & sell a similar fly in several color combinations. I had not seen it before then or since, until now. I tied two versions, one had long hackle palmered through the deer hair body as you've shown, with a marabou tail. The other had splayed hackle tails, like you may see on a bass bug. I'm not trying to take any credit for the pattern, just pointing out how we often think alike when chasing the same species. I got the ideas from tying the Bomber, Salmon/Steelhead patterns. It's been 10 years since I gave up commercial tying! I'm really glad that others still share my thoughts on adapting patterns.

And glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way!

The folks who contribute to the Fly Fish Ohio site have some very good ideas, and fly patterns for Smallmouths. My first exposure to Murdich Minnows was due to an article on that site!

Sjbellrichard, sharing is the reason we're here! I hope that some of the pictures help provide some productive fly patterns, and more ideas for new patterns! My wife has no interest in fishing, but after 34 years of marriage to me & my addictions, she understands too and tolerates them!

If I'm goin sub surface for the Lil'mouths I'm using this pattern. I see there are a few pics of patterns already up like it.

chartruesgrub.jpg

If they are taking topwater I'll go with a size 4 popper or this bad boy I tye on a size 4 dry fly hook

Flys008.jpg

If I have to go deep in a area with some current I tye this Hellgramite pattern

fish021.jpg