Fly Tying
grouch

Japanese Flies?

A good while ago there was an article I saw in a magazine I believe was Fly Tyer that showcased a Japanese tier's beautiful flies. I wanted to try and capture the feel of that style of fly but my search only comes up with tenkara flies, not what I am after. Does anyone know the names of different style Japanese flies other than tenkara? Is there a showcase of modern Japanese flies somewhere? Thanks!

What type of flies where they if they where not Tenkara? Do you remember who the tier in the article was? Might be easier to track down.

Mike P.

What type of flies where they if they where not Tenkara? Do you remember who the tier in the article was? Might be easier to track down.

Mike P.

They were standard mayfly duns but were different and very well proportioned. I don't remember the tier or I'd track him down myself. Any search with anything "Japanese" and "fly" gives you nothing but tenkara. There are plenty of folks in Japan that fish with western fly gear and they tie some very beautiful flies.

I don't remember seeing such an article. But the tyer might have been Ken Sawada, whose flies are truly top-notch.

I don't remember seeing such an article. But the tyer might have been Ken Sawada, whose flies are truly top-notch.

I agree with rockworm, Ken Sawada specializes in classic salmon flies( have his book and he ran competitions) and they are unbelieveable! But Might be worth a google search for sure though I have never seen Ken dabble in mayflies but who knows! Very interested if you track down article

ClassicRustyHooks

If I remember correctly they were extended body flies if that helps. The article would have been old, say early 2000's.

The article was about 3 years ago from what I remember. They were very sparsely tied. Simple and elegant. sorry I cannot recall the author's name nor the issue of Fly Tyer.

The article was about 3 years ago from what I remember. They were very sparsely tied. Simple and elegant. sorry I cannot recall the author's name nor the issue of Fly Tyer.

I don't remember either, but it was within the last few years, not more than maybe 4-5. I remember the picture ofsome wings that stuck in my memory.

I don't remember either, but it was within the last few years, not more than maybe 4-5. I remember the picture ofsome wings that stuck in my memory.

were the wings made from feather where ever 4th barb was left in between removed and the feather then was tied in a loop so each of the feather barbs were veins on the wing? Or do you recall the material that the wings were made. I am going through my stuff on the computer, however that is a Hoarders TV show waiting to be made...

Ken Iwamasa ???

http://keniwamasa.com/dry.html

PT/TB ;)

planet trout....AWESOME find thanks for that! Hope this is the one in question..if not we need to keep looking! I love your daughters comment! I have never won an arguement with my daughter since she was 4...now a Paralegal for environmental law! I would ask your daughter as I have mine...How many shoes does two feet need and purses for two shoulders? :)

Ken Iwamasa ???

PT/TB ;)

Ken Iwamasa's article came out about 3 years ago, Autumn 2009.

01.jpg

01.jpg

01.jpg

I have 360 views of some of his flies as well as their recipes on my website.

A few years prior to that there was article on Kenjiro Shimazaki

hook designer for Tiemco. It was an article on a new tool for making extended body dries.

Kimo

There is also an article called "Rare Insights" written by Tomonori Higashi and Bill Logan about some of Kenshiro Shimikaze's patterns. They were extended bodies tied on curved mandrels. Some of the wings were synthetic, and some were deer hair. All the flies had extended bodies.

The article is in the Autumn 2007 Issue of Fly Tyer.

Ken Iwamasa ???

PT/TB ;)

planet trout....AWESOME find thanks for that! Hope this is the one in question..if not we need to keep looking! I love your daughters comment! I have never won an arguement with my daughter since she was 4...now a Paralegal for environmental law! I would ask your daughter as I have mine...How many shoes does two feet need and purses for two shoulders? :)

I have to be NICE to her...she's currently checking out "new", potential fly fishing locations for me and her brother...

ALLYPONDCHINA-1-.jpg

PT/TB :lol: