Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
C LeBo

What's Your Favorite Bug?

122 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey,

Just wanting to see what everyone's favorite insect is, what species, and what stage of the life cycle. Please tell me if I missed one, because I know how much a part LOCAL insects can play in a trouts life. And, I gotta say, my personal favorite is grannom caddis pupa.

Thank You and Tight Lines,

Carson LeBoeuf

Crane flies, dobsonflies/Hellgramites, and Giant Water Bugs (aka toebiters) might be good additions (and they are fun to tie and fish).

I love caddises and fishing caddis imitations because you can really move them around and don't have to worry about perfect dead drifts.

Stuck in a vote for Mayfly, though I'm really happy to find any hatch going on when I hit the water. Mayflies, and I mean that in the English sense of the name (genus Danica), have provided me with the best sport.

Maybe a pole of your least favorite flies would be interesting.

Cheers,

C.

I have to go with the hopper since I am fishing warm water. Bluegill and bass like those topwater presentations.

I noticed pond skaters were added, and I've often wondered for both them and whirligig beetles (who are also cool) why fish don't seem to eat them and why imitations of them are not tied. Does anybody know if they taste bad? Have defensive smells? I have to admit, I've never tried one, but then it is a separate question as to the similarities between my gustatory preferences and a trouts...

I voted mayfly just because I think both the bugs and the tied imitations are beautiful. I probably fish emergers more than any other stage. But it is a really difficult question as honestly I don't think there is one on the list I don't like for one reason or the other.

Hoppers for me, but then again, look at my screen name. I love how the fish just set aside ant inhibition and eat the hell out of 'em!!