Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CrustySpinnr

Weber of Steven's Point?

I was wondering if anyone had any information on this fly tying company.They were out of Wisconsin and I believe they are out of business.I would be interested in knowing anything,including if they are out of business when did they close?I have several flies from them that have never touched water and still have tags on them.I believe they are fairly old as I have never seen any tied in this way.Any info would be greatly appreciated. biggrin.gif

I have attached a picture on one that is identified as a Yellow Drake size 10.

post-2-1103834622.jpg

I did a google search and couldn't find much. I found some auctions that were selling some of their old catalogs and flies from the 40' and 50's. dunno.gif

got a lot of interest on it from the guys at wisfly here you go this is what i found out

SDH

Dragon Fly

brookie hunter

SDHflyfisher

WWW Email Instant Message

weber in stevens point

« on: 12/23/04 at 22:10:34 » Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

a guy on a different board asked this and i'm just helping out

"I was wondering if anyone had any information on this fly tying company.They were out of Wisconsin and I believe they are out of business.I would be interested in knowing anything,including if they are out of business when did they close?I have several flies from them that have never touched water and still have tags on them.I believe they are fairly old as I have never seen any tied in this way.Any info would be greatly appreciated."

Hansen Custom Rods

http://sdhflyfisher.tripod.com/

WIHEXROD

Midge

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Instant Message

Re: weber in stevens point

« Reply #1 on: 12/24/04 at 07:55:20 » Quote Quote Modify Modify

SDH,

Weber was out of Stevens Point and has been out of business for some time. 70's?

The were very big in flyfishing in the 40-60's and hired many locals to tie flies. They had a full line of rods, reels, lines, flies, etc....

There was an article in the WI Journal or WI Sportsman in the 80's about the history. I'm sure someone can chime in with more details.

Scott

FlyTrap

Dragon Fly

I fish, therefore I am

Instant Message

« Reply #2 on: 12/24/04 at 08:18:55 » Quote Quote Modify Modify

Seems I recall they were into spinners as well. Could be wrong though.

AKA RON B. Of course I heard you calling Dear...why do you think I was hiding?

georgecleveland

WFFP Forum Moderator

Dragon Fly

Wheeee!! Merrill WI circa 2004

Email Instant Message

« Reply #3 on: 12/24/04 at 09:21:51 » Quote Quote Modify Modify

Some links:

http://www.fishingantiques.com/flyfishing/...rflycompany.htm

They were founded in 1921 http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/arch/FndIndst/FIDw.htm

The Weber Company was founded by the Frost Fly Company which was founded in 1896

http://www.rareandunusual.com/fawcett.html

Scroll Down to "In the Controversy"

http://www.pcgazette.com/outdoors/sept99/waw9-17.htm

http://www.pcgazette.com/outdoors/2001/july01/waw7-6.htm

hth

g.c.

EBlom232

Stone Fly

I love woolly buggers, and I don't care who knows

Email Instant Message

« Reply #4 on: 12/24/04 at 11:07:29 » Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for the links George. Being from Point this topic is very interesting to me.

I'm happy to know I am keeping the tying tradition alive in the "fly tackle capital of America" Cheesy

The only prudence in fishermen is that designed to set the stage for taking yet another, and perhaps a longer, chance.

-Aldo Leopold

Big Al K.

May Fly

Yabba Dabba Doo!! --- Tight Lines to You!!!

Instant Message

« Reply #5 on: 12/24/04 at 23:41:38 » Quote Quote Modify Modify

I grew up in Stevens Point, and never new it was the "Fly Tackle Capitol of America". Now there's not even a decent sporting goods store in Point. Unless you count Fleet Farm & Wally World.

I remember using Weber s-p-o-o-n-s and spinners as a teenager. Boy that was a long time ago. I'm starting to feel old.

Big Al K.

« Last Edit: 12/24/04 at 23:42:38 by Big Al K. » Logged

"Lisa Bonet ATE NO BASIL"

Redneck2

Caddis

I'm not dead yet!

916580 916580

Instant Message

« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:14:37 » Quote Quote Modify Modify

Neat thread. I'm wondering if it's possible that this is the same company that made this old fly reel I have. The only markings I can find on it are WEBERKRAFT NYLON, and No. 500. This appears to be all made out of nylon or bakelite. It's pressed together, has a clicker, and a metal foot. Any chance this came from that company?

"I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick -- not wounded -- dead."

-- Woody Allen (b. 1935)

Pages: 1 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

I got the following information from bizapedia. I'm always surprised at how few people know how to search out information. anyway I hope this helps you. lI had to register her just to answer you. I myself am looking for a few yards of nylon monofilament that is absolutely from the forties. I use it in a book i'm writing. a novel. I will probably never post here again. my email is moronpolitics at yahoo dot com. have fun.

Weber Tackle Company is a Wisconsin Close Corporation filed on October 28, 1921. The company's filing status is listed as Involuntarily Dissolved and its File Number is W003213.

The Registered Agent on file for this company is Remer Hutchinson and is located at 1039 W Ellis St Stevens Point, WI 54481.

Company Information

Company Name: WEBER TACKLE COMPANY

File Number: W003213

Filing State: Wisconsin (WI)

Filing Status: Involuntarily Dissolved

Filing Date: October 28, 1921

Company Age: 92 Years, 6 Months

Registered Agent:

Lookup Address on Google Maps

Remer Hutchinson
1039 W Ellis St
Stevens Point, WI 54481

When Weber closed, Gary Borger went over to the company and got a lot of the custom made chests and upright cabinets that they had for material storage. It's pretty neat because the furniture was made especially to hold spools of thread, hackle, yarn, dubbing, chenille etc, etc.

2 hours ago, CSB1 said:

Is Mr. Borger still with us?

He sure is. He taught me to fly fish and tie flies back in the 1970's. He moved to Washington state to be closer to Jason's family and Gary's grandchildren.

We last fished together on the Madison in 2012. I'm to Gary's right and my fishing buddy Gene is to Gary's left.

35686155686_cafc63de3a_z.jpg

Gary wrote about our adventure in "Runaway Trout"

http://www.garyborger.com/2012/07/25/runaway-trout/

Gary (upstream) and Gene (downstream) fishing a side branch of the upper Madison

50345716157_32e0728a8d_z.jpg

Here's a few more photos of Gary on the Madison.

35338963400_1ea2806b4f_z.jpg

35686155596_816f305a9a_z.jpg

50345715597_8412e5d95a_z.jpg

50345715757_ee3cfd747e_z.jpg

Sold reels too, I had a couple that were marked Weber Kalahatch No. 400;  actually manufactured by Duncan-Briggs, Providence RI. in the early '50s.

Weber wasn't the only company in Stevens Point that produced fishing tackle. I seem to recall reading an article about that town, that there was several "cottage industry" businesses there at one time, that made flies, lures or other fishing items . I had some Weber spinners when I was a kid. 

About Gary Borger, I have an ATH made in Argentina engraved with his name on reel. Don't know if he used them or just sold rights to his signature.