Fly Tying
Bucket

Colorado high mountain lakes

What part of CO will you be in?

I'll be in CO Springs.

I will have a rental car and an entire day to spend.It is just me going. Friends have to work. I don't mind driving up to two hours to a spot, that's what I typically spend driving to spots in North Carolina. Any suggestions would be a great help. Not really looking to camp though.

I already have a day planned at Spinney Reservoir while in CO.

if it was me i would spend the day slaying them at 11 mile canyon,catch the rainbows and browns, but ive never fished any further than that because i dont want to drive any further in one day either.al though you could drive south west and fish the arkansas river near salida or canyon cithy.about the same drive time and very pretty country side

What kind of info are you looking for? What kind of rental car will you have? I know a nice lake that's a rough 4x4 drive up into the mountains. But has beautiful cutties that'll grab a dry.

Im going to be in the Denver area for 3 days at the end of JULY. Was wondering if anyone could lead me to some public fishing spots that I could fish. I have never fished in Colorado. I do most of my fishing in missouri, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of info are you looking for? What kind of rental car will you have? I know a nice lake that's a rough 4x4 drive up into the mountains. But has beautiful cutties that'll grab a dry.

I'm just looking for some info about areas. I'll have a compact car, so 4x4-ing is probably out. Any locations that have a parking area or designated pull-off would be good. Maybe access is by 4x4 only and my plan won't work. Better to find that out now, than showing up in a Hyundai Accent to the base of a dirt road.I am just looking into it and seeing what info and tips others have.

I'll be in CO Springs.

I will have a rental car and an entire day to spend.It is just me going. Friends have to work. I don't mind driving up to two hours to a spot, that's what I typically spend driving to spots in North Carolina. Any suggestions would be a great help. Not really looking to camp though.

if your into lakes then Spinny is a good option. It is not however a high mountain lake. As far a true high mountain lakes near Colorado Springs you pretty much have to drive about 2 hours and then put in a little hiking. Your options would be the San Gris de Cristo mountains to the south but you will need 4x4 to make it a day trip. You can make it to Rocky mountain National Park in just over two hours and if your in decent shape there are some shorter hikes to good lakes (call Kirks Fly Shop in Estes Park for more info). Or you can Drive to Buena Vista and fish a number of high lakes up Independence Pass, again 2 hours. All that said If you only have a day fish the South Platte or the Arkansas river. Both are outstanding fisheries in beautiful areas and much closer to access. There are also numerous excellent small streams that are closer. If this doesn't get you started shoot me a PM and I'll try to help more.

Josh

I'll be in CO Springs.

if your into lakes then Spinny is a good option. It is not however a high mountain lake. As far a true high mountain lakes near Colorado Springs you pretty much have to drive about 2 hours and then put in a little hiking. Your options would be the San Gris de Cristo mountains to the south but you will need 4x4 to make it a day trip. You can make it to Rocky mountain National Park in just over two hours and if your in decent shape there are some shorter hikes to good lakes (call Kirks Fly Shop in Estes Park for more info). Or you can Drive to Buena Vista and fish a number of high lakes up Independence Pass, again 2 hours. All that said If you only have a day fish the South Platte or the Arkansas river. Both are outstanding fisheries in beautiful areas and much closer to access. There are also numerous excellent small streams that are closer. If this doesn't get you started shoot me a PM and I'll try to help more.

Josh

Thanks, that is very helpful. I might check out the South Platte...you're talking about "The Dream Stream",correct?

-Brian

I ended up going to the Sangre De Cristo mountains. My buddy wanted to hike and had a 4x4.

post-42562-0-78873900-1342652019_thumb.jpg

First cast, first Cutthroat

post-42562-0-56392500-1342652144_thumb.jpg

Caught another Cutty on my next (2nd) cast. Two casts, two fish.

This place was amazing. Fish turned ON and were smashing dries for about an hour, then wind and rain came in and turned the "fantasy world" back into the real world.

Glad you got into some goodness. The San Gris are a special place that fortunately doesn't draw crowds.

Man oh man is that beautiful. I hope to make it out there sooner than later for sure....

If you wouldn't have caught that dang fish on your first cast, you would've had a whole day of great fishing!

Bad luck, yaknow!