Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BocaGrandefly

Thread??

I am new to tying trout flies. What thread would you recommend (size and brand)?

I am headed to CO in August and want to tie some flies before my trip. I will probably focus on a few drie flies ( size 18-14). Any recommendation would be a big help.

Thx

BGFly

I am new to tying trout flies. What thread would you recommend (size and brand)?

I am headed to CO in August and want to tie some flies before my trip. I will probably focus on a few drie flies ( size 18-14). Any recommendation would be a big help.

Thx

BGFly

Danville's Flymaster waxed ,size 6/0 or 270 denier . If you have some markers the white thread can be made to fit most recipes for small to medium size flies.

I like Uni thread rather than flat thread. Flat thread is wider, but gives less build up, which may be important in size 20 flies and down. Uni to me gives a neater head. If you start off with 8/0, you'll soon get used to it, although nothing wrong with 6/0, which I think it's what most folks start with.

Thread is so cheap you can get many colors and forget the magic markers. No use to restrict yourself to black/white.

I use Uni as well. Prefer 8/0 unless I'm working with deer or elk hair, then I might go to 6/0 for some extra strength. I like 12/0 for really small dries. I agree, thread is cheap, you can use markers but I'd just get multiple colors.

For those sizes, Uni-Thread 8/0. I generally use black unless the pattern specifically calls for a lighter color. I have black, olive, tan, grey, pale yellow, bright yellow.... Did anyone mention that thread's cheap? My 3 most used colors, though, are black, olive and Lt. Cahill.