Fly Tying
lostnwilderness

Quality Hooks Bulk Cheap?

I understand J. Stockard Fly Fishing is a big sponsor here and they have a great site and products! BUT, I am looking to order a number of hooks (getting started tying) in bulk rates at a discount price. I see a lot of references to web sites both here and on other forums but a majority of those links are now dead. Any advice from the sages on here on places to get high quality hooks cheap?

I understand J. Stockard Fly Fishing is a big sponsor here and they have a great site and products! BUT, I am looking to order a number of hooks (getting started tying) in bulk rates at a discount price. I see a lot of references to web sites both here and on other forums but a majority of those links are now dead. Any advice from the sages on here on places to get high quality hooks cheap?

try Allen Fly Fishing,plus free shipping, they also have a web site

I can say Allen fly company hooks are great. You need to remember with some bulk boxes the quality can be poor.

If you're looking for hooks by the thousand per size, one of the outfits I use is Shorty's Hook Sales. Not sure if they have the type hooks needed for freshwater tying but they do have a pretty good selection of Mustad, Varivas, Eagle Claw, Gama, Matsuo, Partridge, etc. You'll need state or federal tax number to be able to purchase from them, their number is (800) 723-8508. Hope this helps.

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

I have also used Allen and I have had no issues with their hooks or beads. They ship fast and the quality seems to be equal to some of the other hook manufacturers. They dont have every hook you will want or need but they have a good selection that should cover your basic hooks to get you started.

I would Recommend Allen Fly Fishing. There may be 1 out of every 50 that is bad, but for the price you can't beat them.

Ebay is the worse place to get hooks. Captainhookswarehouse.com is a good source and their service has been top notch.

Hagens FishingHas BULK pricing on Hooks, they only sell in thousands. Full like of Dai-Riki, and a few Mustad hooks as well.

I have tied & sold several thousand flies on Allen Fly Fishing hooks over the past year and a half. Great quality and price. I think I've had 6 bad hooks out of 6k or so. Highly recommended. Everyday pricing is good and they often run discounts on quantities.

Best way to save money on hooks is limit yourself to a minimal number of styles and sizes. With a little discipline, you will save a ton of money in the long run. I'd personally stay away from the no-name, off-brand hooks that are cropping up all over the place and stick to a mainstream hook manufacturer. The least expensive of the established companies are Mustad and Dai-Riki. If you are just starting out, I seriously doubt you will be using enough hooks in the near term to make the price of the hooks much of an issue, and cheap hooks just aren't worth the money saved in the long run. YMMV.

I've asked this question before on here and gotten jammed up, but I'll ask it again.... If you're just getting started tying, why do you want to buy thousands of hooks?

I've asked this question before on here and gotten jammed up, but I'll ask it again.... If you're just getting started tying, why do you want to buy thousands of hooks?

You probably wouldn't unless you were really sure you would do a lot of tying or have money to burn. Start with 25 or 50 packs. The thousand packs come when you tie for a money or know you're going to tie a ton of 16 BWO's or something

Maybe they've only just started casting too. So they need 1000's to replace the tree decorations :lol: