Fly Tying
br_fly

Custom Fly Tying Bench

373 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I made my own a few years ago using some of my own ideas and a bit of what's already out there. I think this turned out awesome. I made several with the idea of selling them on commision at some local shops, but I haven't gotten to that yet. Anyone in the ontario/GTA area looking for a bench let me know. (ps the legs underneath are not a part of it - just a tv table.......)

Clint

post-19089-0-11986700-1358222311_thumb.jpg

post-19089-0-60473400-1358223376_thumb.jpg

This is a tying station that I have used for years. Then I reconfigured my armoire to become the stations home and material storage. The station is the same but now it's on heavy glides and pulls out of the armoire like a desk. These things are always in a state of evolution, but it's working for me at the moment.

TyingArmoirestationout2.jpg

TyingArmoirefront.jpg

The other half of the armoire houses my little photo set up as well. My wife likes that the entire enterprise can be put out of site in a moment. =)

w

William ... that's a pretty cool tying station. I like that idea of closing it off, out of sight, too. But for me, it woul dease my mind knowing the cats won't be able to find a stray hook or something.

William: That is a beautiful setup. I like the design and how clean and organized everything is...will be in my mind for later evolutions of my tying station.

DVS: I am from the area and am curious what the damage on those benches would be?

This thread is making me so envious! I built my own with my father YEARS ago, and it really simply serves a function. These areas are very well setup; thanks for everyone sharing pics of their station. I hope to redo mine in the near future...

Tim

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout

Well it's all about what works, I wanted something organized and portable, something I could tie on in the livingroom to keep my wife company etc. So i bought a 4x8 sheet of white hardboard, figured I had enough with one sheet I can make a few and recover some costs. Now they're built and ready for sale, and I have a baby girl....... who loves feathers......... and so, even MINE is up for sale and I'm in the basement! Lmao.......

Keep tying! (oh..... and let me know if anyone needs a bench..LOL)

Clint

PS> I've been watching your YouTube stuff Tim, love your work!

PS> I've been watching your YouTube stuff Tim, love your work!

Thanks, DVS; I appreciate the comment. I plan on making another video tomorrow for YouTube; feel free to email any suggestions for patterns. I've had a couple people mention no-hackles, so I will be tying one or two of those next week.

Tim

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout

Here's the custom tying bench my dad made for me a few years ago. Cherry and birdseye maple, made to the dimensions I wanted. He also inset a replaceable Melamine top into it so that if I drip glue, I'm not ruining nice hardwood. Also makes hooks easier to find.

FlyDesk.jpg

This is gorgeous! I plan on building something along these lines soon for myself. give your dad my compliments on his workmanship!

Clint

Nope, not a pro. But he is an engineer who is incredibly compentent with tools and problem solving. He's actually a bit ashamed of this as it was one of the earlier things he did. He says when he sees it, he only sees the mistakes. I'm blessed to have it.

Nope, not a pro. But he is an engineer who is incredibly compentent with tools and problem solving. He's actually a bit ashamed of this as it was one of the earlier things he did. He says when he sees it, he only sees the mistakes. I'm blessed to have it.

If my mistakes were only that small! Becouse I can't see them that is a beutifull piece of wood working. I used an old cumputer desk that I made a back for that holds peg board and a shelf on top. It works for now. I am working on plans to have my own custom one done.

Here is one of my typical portable benches that i started making years ago. This one fits in a flip top storage box with all the materials and hardware to set up at Expo tying tables.

IMGP1255.JPG

I made a bench out of a 3 piece wooden cutting board set and a couple wood dowels from Walmart and Home Depot. Found the plans on web similar to this

http://www.tvangler.com/2008/04/10/insane-tactics-building-a-fly-tying-station-on-a-budget/

I customized mine and it came out quite a bit better than the one shown on the web link. It was a fun project and resulted in a better than expected product I have used happily for 6-7 years. If I get a chance I'll post pics.