Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

tying up some muddlers tonight

with the weather we are having here in iowa (multiple weeks of temps between 95 and 100 and no rain) ive been tying up some flies to get a little deeper down were the bass are hangin out during mid day. decided to tie some muddlers tonight to use on sinking line to get to those fish. i have yet to accomplish catching largemouth in deeper water, if any of you do this much im willing to take any advise. anyway, back to the topic. tryin a new weed guard made from .010 music wire, you may have seen this before premaid on hooks used for spinning tackle. im hoping it works well.if you have any experience using this style of weed guard i would love to know what you think of it.

post-4850-0-79394700-1343093937_thumb.jpg

post-4850-0-90003500-1343093959_thumb.jpg

You very rarely see that style of weed guard in production flies, but I prefer it in mine. It offers a better hook up and is more weedless than regular mono. Great tie!

You might go to the salt water forum and review some of Capt. Bob Lemay's posts. He does a wire weed guard that has only a single wire. He sayse he throws them right into the mangroves without problems and mangroves are real fly stealers.

Yep nice muddlers. Been doing that style of weedguards for years now. I use either #2 or 3 stainless steel wire thats used for slatwater bite guards.

As for bass in deep. Full sink line with 4' of flouro. Slow strips. But dont be surprised to find big bass hanging right in the weed patch in the middle of the hot ass day!

thanks for the input guys. been looking for #4 or #5 leader wire but when i type that into google i dont get much to come up. all ive seen on google and in local stores is 60 - 90 pound leader wire. is this right?