Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Taxon

What's your favorite insect hatch to fish?

QUOTE (appalachian angler (tn.) @ Jan 1 2005, 08:05 PM)
Here in east Tennessee on the mountain streams hatches are sporadic at best. I like fishing them when the yellow sallies are about in june when it's t-shirt weather! Don't even get me started about the freestoners i used to fish when I lived in Pa. ... God I miss those prolific hatches sad.gifbugeyes.gif

A.A.

appalachian angler-

Yellow Sally is a common name for the Chloroperlidae (Sallfly) family of Stoneflies. In E. Tennessee, you have the following genera: Alloperla, Haploperla, Suwallia, Sweltsa.

This is how the tally stands at the moment:

3 for Mayfly hatches

6 for Caddisfly hatches

2 for Stonefly hatches

1 for Chironomid hatches

3 for Terrestrial hatches (1 Beetle, 1 Hopper, 1 unspecified)

So far we've heard from at least one flyfisher in each of the following locations:

Washington (Taxon)

Michigan (steeldrifter, Airhead)

Pennsylvania (jmmccutc and mcfly)

Nova Scotia (Daryn Smith)

Utah (nightfish)

Australia (Smuggler)

Ohio (fishintalk)

British Columbia (tattooedtrout)

Kentucky (getholdofjoru)

Tennessee (appalachian angler)

ok with whats been said about caddis hatches i am interested to know this....do you guys that fish caddis hatches fish the hatch with a dry fly or a emerger/wet fly?

just thought hat would be interesting to know.

SD

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Jan 1 2005, 09:56 PM)
ok with whats been said about caddis hatches i am interested to know this....do you guys that fish caddis hatches fish the hatch with a dry fly or a emerger/wet fly?

just thought hat would be interesting to know.

SD

SD-

My favorite pattern for fishing the Traveler Sedge hatch on BC Lakes is an emerger which has the abdomen protruding into the water on about a 35 degree angle. On streams, my favorite is the Elk Hair Caddis. However, both are floating patterns.

Tis a great thread Taxon keep up the good stats. I am really interested in the result.

GOT ME ON THE YELLOW SALLIES "appalachian angler (tn.)" What are they?

wallbash.gif If I had turned the page I would have known wallbash.gif sorry headbang.gif thanks Taxon

In Oz I fish caddis patterns wet and dry. Wet as a searching pattern and the dry when risers are punching the surface and obviously when the evening hatch is in full flight. biggrin.gif

Cheers

"Smuggler" ph34r.gif

post-31-1105085870.jpg

Way to go tightlines and vices. Wow, two in a row from Ontario.

8 for Caddisfly hatches

4 for Mayfly hatches

2 for Stonefly hatches

1 for Chironomid hatches

So far we've heard from at least one flyfisher in each of the following locations:

Washington (Taxon)

Utah (nightfish)

Australia (Smuggler)

Ohio (fishintalk)

Kentucky (getholdofjoru)

Ontario (tightlines, vices)

QUOTE (Smokeytrout @ Jan 9 2005, 01:16 AM)
Late Autumn Baetis while it is snowing  thumbsup.gif

Brrrrrrrr. Okay, Smokeytrout.

8 for Caddisfly hatches

5 for Mayfly hatches

2 for Stonefly hatches

1 for Chironomid hatches

Washington (Taxon)

Utah (nightfish)

Australia (Smuggler)

Ohio (fishintalk)

Kentucky (getholdofjoru)

Oregon (Smokeytrout)

I definately like the Grannom hatch here in Central Pa, but if I have to pick my favorite it would be the Isonychia hatch for a couple of reasons.

1. It can last anywhere from mid to late june and continue through the 2nd week of october depending on the weather. Afrter the drakes and sulfurs (late june early july) are over you pretty much have the streams here to yourself.

2. I prefer to nymph and the Isonychia (swimming mayfly) migrates to the banks and midstream rocks to emerger much like a stonefly nymph and the trout migrate with them. Making it easy to find and catch trout.

3. You can fish the swimming nymph in a dead drift, swing it like a wet, or even fish it similar to a streamer, all three being very produtive.

4. Since the hatch last so long plenty of the adults end up on the water and you can throw a dry fly around blindly and do quite well.

5. The fish love them like they're crack.

QUOTE (pennscreekrules @ Jan 13 2005, 04:26 PM)
I definately like the Grannom hatch here in Central Pa, but if I have to pick my favorite it would be the Isonychia hatch for a couple of reasons.
1. It can last anywhere from mid to late june and continue through the 2nd week of october depending on the weather. Afrter the drakes and sulfurs (late june early july) are over you pretty much have the streams here to yourself.
2. I prefer to nymph and the Isonychia (swimming mayfly) migrates to the banks and midstream rocks to emerger much like a stonefly nymph and the trout migrate with them. Making it easy to find and catch trout.
3. You can fish the swimming nymph in a dead drift, swing it like a wet, or even fish it similar to a streamer, all three being very produtive.
4. Since the hatch last so long plenty of the adults end up on the water and you can throw a dry fly around blindly and do quite well.
5. The fish love them like they're crack.

pennscreekrules-

Nice post. For those that don't know, Grammon (as well as, American Grammon, Mother's Day Caddis, and Black Caddis) are common names for the Caddisfly genus Brachycentrus. Some others have listed more than one hatch, so you too may as well.

9 for Caddisfly hatches

6 for Mayfly hatches

2 for Stonefly hatches

1 for Chironomid hatches

Washington (Taxon)

Pennsylvania (jmmccutc, mcfly, pennscreekrules)

Utah (nightfish)

Australia (Smuggler)

Ohio (fishintalk)

Kentucky (getholdofjoru)

Oregon (Smokeytrout)

Would sure like to hear about other's favorite hatches. Come on, let's hear from some of you normally silent folks.

Western PA

2 hatches:

White Fly

Then there's this bug that looks like a half inch long very dark Grey Caddis. I don' tknow the species for sure and none of the shop guys have been able to ID it yet, but when it comes off (and I only see it on ONE lake) the fish will hit absolutely anything even close to it's size and color. It's outstanding! I think I have a specimen somewhere... if I do I'll put up a picture in a separate thread for an ID.

Taxon,

You started something man. This is reel talk (OK poor pun).

I am from south central PA.

My favorite trout hatches are crane and caddis flies.

They are an unmistakable profile on the surface. I have had trout leave the water before the fly landed to attack a crane fly pattern (this happened several times on Penn’s creek, how about it Pennscreekrules?)

Caddis flies because the nymph fishing of caddis is like taking candy from a baby. Second I can have a little drag in my Caddis dry fly and the trout think it is just skating and egg laying.

For Smallmouth on the Susquehanna, it has to be the white fly. The water boils with fish eating. Every fish in the river makes an appearance.

My most favorite hatch is that of the coneheads. You never seem them leave the water. But tie on an imitation using a conehead and you will get fish.

Conehead

Coniathies Greatousours, the Latin name

Well despite all the studying I've done on it, I'm still pretty new to fly fishing so I don't have a lot of repeat experiences with hatches. Actually, I don't have any. But my favorite hatch so far is definitely Isonychia bicolor. When I fished it this year, it lasted for a few weeks and was rarely very intense, but since it was a long-lasting sporadic emergence of big meaty flies it got the big trout looking up all the time. I was able to get them on those imitations even when there was no hatch ongoing at that particular minute. And when occasionally they emerged thick enough to constitute a "real" hatch... MAN the trout went wild for them. I had one night like that and landed two 16s, a 17, two 18s, and a 21, all wild browns. It was my best day of trout fishing ever.

By the way, these were the midwestern Isonychia bicolor strain, the ones that used to be known as Isonychia sadleri and that emerge on the top of the water in late June or so. I didn't have as much luck in September with the Catskill Isonychia bicolor hatch, which largely emerges by crawling out onto the rocks and didn't seem to cause as much excitement with the fish.

QUOTE (luvinbluegills @ Jan 14 2005, 12:26 PM)
Western PA

2 hatches:

White Fly

Then there's this bug that looks like a half inch long very dark Grey Caddis. I don' tknow the species for sure and none of the shop guys have been able to ID it yet, but when it comes off (and I only see it on ONE lake) the fish will hit absolutely anything even close to it's size and color. It's outstanding! I think I have a specimen somewhere... if I do I'll put up a picture in a separate thread for an ID.

luvinbluegills-

Aha, another vote for the White Fly. As far as your other insect, I get the impression that you don’t think it’s actually a caddis, and if so, I have a suspicion of what it might be, but would like to see a picture of your specimen before commenting.