Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Taxon

What's your favorite insect hatch to fish?

QUOTE (Roggys_Doggy @ Feb 13 2005, 01:07 AM)
I am new to flyfishing and have not too many flyfishing trips to my credit , but in the high mountain lakes near my home , I have had very good success on chronimids , however I also would like to cast a vote for scuds/freshwater shrimp.
I managed to fool several nice trout with them this past summer and fall.

Roggys_Doggy-

What part of BC are you from? I absolutely love to fish your lakes in the Kamloops area.

This is how the tally stands at the moment:

14 for Mayfly hatches

12 for Caddisfly hatches

4 for Terrestrial hatches (2 Beetles, 1 Hopper, 1 unspecified, 1 Ant, 1 Wasp)

4 for Stonefly hatches

3 for True Fly hatches (2 Chironomid, 1 Cranefly)

1 for Scud hatches (not really a hatch, but who cares)

1 for Mystery Bug (to be identified later)

So far we've heard from at least one flyfisher in each of the following locations:

Australia (Smuggler)

British Columbia (tattooedtrout, Roggys_Doggy)

Bulgaria (Radoslav Kiskinov)

Finland (TKontio)

Kentucky (getholdofjoru, Rob Knisely)

Michigan (steeldrifter, Airhead, trout traveler, hexfli)

Minnesota (JasonN)

Nova Scotia (Daryn Smith)

Ohio (fishintalk)

Ontario (tightlines, vices, Mr. Trout, artimis)

Oregon (Smokeytrout)

Pennsylvania (jmmccutc, mcfly, pennscreekrules, luvinbluegills, Conehead, bly65, nedbm3)

Tennessee (appalachian angler)

Utah (nightfish)

Washington (Taxon)

Wisconsin (TOMMY TROUT)

--------------- ----------------

16 locations 30 flyfishers

The first hatch I ever caught on to rolleyes.gif was the legendary caddis hatch on the Columbia river north of the US border. This huge and long river passes through the town of Castlegar and is very cold even in the hottest days of summer.

The caddis season, at it's peek, makes it almost unfishable. For a month and a half, or longer, clouds of caddis flies lift out of the mighty Columbia. The large pools and eddies boil with big fish swirling to take the emergers and sip on the egg laying adults. The hatch has to be seen to be believed.

Driving in the area clogs radiators, dims headlights, and smears windshields with these little morsels. Motorcyclists say it's very hard to ride during the evenings as they have to constantly wipe away their windscreens. Walking along the banks or through the trees during the heat of the day is almost creepy. Huge tornados of caddis flies swarm intruders as they are disturbed from their rest.

The unfishable part isn't because of catching fish - throw your favorite caddis pattern in and something will eat it. It's tolerating the little moths crawling down your shirt, up your pants, in your ears, nose, eyes, mouth, and anywhere else they can get in to. When the sun starts to get low, the caddis' fly up river peppering one side of your body and late evening fly back down pelting the other side. Make sure you wear a protective net or you'll get extra protein in your diet.

Is it my favorite hatch? I have to say yes, but really, any hatch that drives the trout into a feeding frenzy like this one would be my favorite hatch.

My favorite hatch here in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. let's see. It would defifitly be the flying ant hatch all the way. Nothing like a lake covered in ants and trout gorging themselves on them. They will take just about whatever hits the water then. headbang.gif

My favorite hatch would have to be the sulpher hatch , on Oil creek in nw pa, for two reasons.

1st its a very heavy hatch that lasts for about 3weeks, and

2ed it occurs at tha magical time of the year that the trout seem to be active and feeding from sunup to sundown.

Even thougt the emergence and spinner fall occure in the evening, you can catch em with the same fly all day.

I think on oil creek there are two diffrent bugs that hatch , one larger than the other, but since they happen back to back , the hatch gets merged into one big sulpher hatch. its just later in the month smaller flies seem to work better.

QUOTE (atroutbum2 @ Feb 15 2005, 10:52 PM)
My favorite hatch would have to be the sulpher hatch , on Oil creek in nw pa, ...

A number of Heptageniids and Ephemerellids are referred to as Sulphurs. In Pennsylvania, the term is usually applied to several species of the genus, Ephemerella. The first to emerge are those referred to in hatch charts as E. rotunda, which have been re-classified as E. invaria. The next to emerge are those referred to (and still classified) as E. invaria. The third to emerge are referred to as E. dorothea, which have been re-classified as E. dorothea dorothea. The second’s emergence produces subimagos slightly smaller than the first, and the third’s are slightly smaller than the second’s. It would seem two (or perhaps three) of these emergences occur on Oil creek.

This is how the tally stands at the moment:

15 for Mayfly hatches

14 for Caddisfly hatches

4 for Terrestrial hatches (2 Beetles, 1 Hopper, 1 unspecified, 2 Ant, 1 Wasp)

4 for Stonefly hatches

So far we've heard from at least one flyfisher in each of the following locations:

Australia (Smuggler)

British Columbia (tattooedtrout, Roggys_Doggy, FloydianSlip)

Finland (TKontio)

Minnesota (JasonN)

Nova Scotia (Daryn Smith, Bras D'or Creeper)

Ohio (fishintalk)

Oregon (Smokeytrout)

Pennsylvania (jmmccutc, mcfly, pennscreekrules, luvinbluegills, Conehead, bly65, nedbm3, atroutbum2)

Utah (nightfish)

Washington (Taxon)

Wisconsin (TOMMY TROUT)

16 locations 33 flyfishers

QUOTE (atroutbum2 @ Feb 15 2005, 10:52 PM)
My favorite hatch would have to be the sulpher hatch , on Oil creek in nw pa, for two reasons.

1st its a very heavy hatch that lasts for about 3weeks, and
2ed it occurs at tha magical time of the year that the trout seem to be active and feeding from sunup to sundown.

Even thougt the emergence and spinner fall occure in the evening, you can catch em with the same fly all day.

I think on oil creek there are two diffrent bugs that hatch , one larger than the other, but since they happen back to back , the hatch gets merged into one big sulpher hatch. its just later in the month smaller flies seem to work better.

Hi taxon and troutbum

Interesting about the smaller sulphur, I have fished a #22 sulpher dun on an ultralite 2wt this year in the mountains and have had good success even when there is no hatch. Lovely fly to fish, I got it in a fly swap and now its in my favourites box. Pic shows how visable it is for small stream.

Cheers cheers.gif

"Smuggler" ph34r.gif

PS. top thread.

post-31-1109580931.jpg

I'll throw my hat into the ring here and cast a vote for mayflies. I'm not up to speed on my entomology so that is as specific as i can get (i dont know a pale morning dun from a rainy evening one baby.gif )

Ao i guess that is another one for mayflies from Australia

Cheers

Blake

QUOTE (swaddo @ Mar 10 2005, 09:25 PM)
I'll throw my hat into the ring here and cast a vote for mayflies. I'm not up to speed on my entomology so that is as specific as i can get (i dont know a pale morning dun from a rainy evening one baby.gif )

Ao i guess that is another one for mayflies from Australia

Cheers
Blake

swaddo-

Okay Blake, I've got you covered, mayfly hatches from Australia. That puts us at:

16 for Mayfly hatches

14 for Caddisfly hatches

4 for Stonefly hatches

Australia (Smuggler, swaddo)

Finland (TKontio)

Minnesota (JasonN)

Ohio (fishintalk)

Oregon (Smokeytrout)

Pennsylvania (jmmccutc, mcfly, pennscreekrules, luvinbluegills, Conehead, bly65, nedbm3, atroutbum2)

Utah (nightfish)

Washington (Taxon)

Wisconsin (TOMMY TROUT)

16 locations 34 flyfishers

Okay, JarrodRuggles from Arkansas for Caddis hatches, and

Kodiak Commando from Alsaka for Caddis hatches.

That puts us at:

16 for Mayfly hatches

16 for Caddisfly hatches

4 for Stonefly hatches

Alaska (Kodiak Commando)

Arkansas (JarrodRuggles)

Finland (TKontio)

Minnesota (JasonN)

Ohio (fishintalk)

Oregon (Smokeytrout)

Utah (nightfish)

Washington (Taxon)

Wisconsin (TOMMY TROUT)

18 locations 36 flyfishers

A late surge for Caddisfly hatches has tied it with Mayfly hatches. We need someone new to break the tie!

Taxon, here is my 2 cents. but first, there ios an article in the new American Angler on The Traveler Sedge. April 2005 Page 22

My favorite hatch is actually a time of year. Last week of May first week of June on the Delaware System. Cahills, Green Drakes, March Browns, Mahogany Duns, Cornuta's, Apple caddis, dark blue sedge all in the same day, crap sometimes within 15 minutes of each other. It's a fly hoard like me's dream!!

QUOTE (Shaq @ Mar 30 2005, 10:38 PM)
Taxon, here is my 2 cents. but first, there ios an article in the new American Angler on The Traveler Sedge. April 2005 Page 22

My favorite hatch is actually a time of year. Last week of May first week of June on the Delaware System. Cahills, Green Drakes, March Browns, Mahogany Duns, Cornuta's, Apple caddis, dark blue sedge all in the same day, crap sometimes within 15 minutes of each other. It's a fly hoard like me's dream!!

Shaq-

Thanks for the heads up. Don't get the magazine, but I'll try to locate it on a magazine rack somewhere.

Goodness, most hatches I've heard mentioned in one breath. You stumped me for a moment with Cornuta's as I hadn't ever seen that particular common name. Of course, we're talking about Drunella cornuta, which are more commonly referred to as Blue-Winged Olives, although I must admit that Cornuta's is a much more specific name, as there are probably more species of mayflies called Blue-Winged Olive than any other common name.

As we're not voting for time of year, I'll tally yours as Shaq from New York for Mayfly hatches.

That puts us at:

17 for Mayfly hatches

16 for Caddisfly hatches

4 for Stonefly hatches

Alaska (Kodiak Commando)

Arkansas (JarrodRuggles)

Finland (TKontio)

Minnesota (JasonN)

New York (Shaq)

Ohio (fishintalk)

Oregon (Smokeytrout)

Utah (nightfish)

Washington (Taxon)

Wisconsin (TOMMY TROUT)

19 locations 37 flyfishers