Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Max

Durable Humpy Body

Using traditional humpy pattern with floss body. The body kept unraveling after a few fish. What other materials can I substitute to make a more durable humpy body?

Dubbing works just as well. Also you could rib the floss with some fine clear mono for extra strength. Another material to consider would be flexi floss (available under various trade names).

Cheers,

C.

Using traditional humpy pattern with floss body. The body kept unraveling after a few fish. What other materials can I substitute to make a more durable humpy body?

this may not be the actual materials problem but how it is tied in and wrapped around the shank. good super tight wraps can help alot of tying problems

some materials worth a try

thread bodies

dubbed bodies

flexi floss bodies

floss bodies coated with a thin layer of epoxy or head cement

floss bodies coated with uv cured resins

floss bodies covered with a strip of clear sandwich bag material

floss body reversed wrapped with some fine wire. the wire add glitter, not weight.

1mm razor foam bodies

thin skin bodies

flexi body bodies (much different than flexi floss)

latex glove material

peacock quills coated with and adhesive of your choosing

stripped hackle quills coated with an adhesive of your choosing

different colors of tinsel covered with an adhesive of your choosing

there are many more way of making bodies more durable. use your imagination and experiment

I appreciate the great suggestions. :D

Is flexi floss the stuff that comes on a spool and is applied with a bobbin?

I use pre-wrap. It comes in lots of colors (girls apparently use it to tie upony tails when playing sports). It is a stretchy open foam that comes on a roll and normally goes around joints prior to taping them for stability or injury.

I use pre-wrap. It comes in lots of colors (girls apparently use it to tie upony tails when playing sports). It is a stretchy open foam that comes on a roll and normally goes around joints prior to taping them for stability or injury.

Where would I find pre-wrap?

You can find it at most sporting good stores.

and at the "bangles" type stores in the malls,where they sell the earrings and other cheap bangles..

Murray

and at the "bangles" type stores in the malls,where they sell the earrings and other cheap bangles..

Murray

bangles??? what are those?

I've always used the tying thread, you can always switch to a finer thread to finish the fly. Usually the hair hump is gone long before the body comes apart.

I like Uni-stretch and Flexi-floss/Sexi-floss for bodies on flies like the Humpy; both are pretty easy to work with.

#12 Foam Back Convertible with Sexi-floss body:

IMG_9182.jpg

Regards,

Scott