Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Byron

Beautiful Fly Box

Hi,

While fishing the Henry's Fork in Island Park this June, I met a fellow fisher who had this beautiful fly box. I asked where he got it and he pointed to his buddy "Murf". Turns out Murf makes these by hand as sort of a hobby. He had some in his van and I couldn't help talking him into selling me one. It has the beautiful inlaid other wood on the front and back of the box. The insides have cork strips for your flies.

Thought others might enjoying seeing.

IMG_3324.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg

That is a thing of beauty. I made one and it didnt turn out HALF as good and it was an unbelievable amount of effort!

Way back when I had access to the facilities I looked into making fly boxes. At that time those hinges cost almost 18 UKP a pair! that expense alone put me off. I doubt if I could have come anywhere close to the standard of that one. Look after it Byron, that is heirloom quality.

Cheers,

C.

Way back when I had access to the facilities I looked into making fly boxes. At that time those hinges cost almost 18 UKP a pair! that expense alone put me off. I doubt if I could have come anywhere close to the standard of that one. Look after it Byron, that is heirloom quality.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks. Speaking of taking care of it.......What, if anything, should you clean or wax it with periodically?

I'd use something like Danish oil but others may know better. I have no idea what the finish on it is. You want something that will not colour it, but bring out the colours of the wood. Over time you may need to replace the cork inside. At that point I'd treat the inside.

I think it will age beautifully.

Cheers,

C.

I made a few similar to that once, but I used sliced up wine cork for the fly holders - those strips are a lot nicer :) Looks like a really nicely made box.

Thanks. Speaking of taking care of it.......What, if anything, should you clean or wax it with periodically?

You can wax it with paste wax - something like Johnsons, Trewax, or whatever is available. Avoid car waxes for wood applications. However, wax isn't as durable as some desire, you'll have to keep waxing it if you start. It wears off and oxidizes in the sun - oils do too, but more slowly.

You can coat with light coats of an oil finish, tung, linseed, Danish, etc. Heavy coats of drying oil will end up looking like polyurethane, so I like to keep them light. I like a real boiled linseed oil (not the stuff from the hardware store) with some beeswax mixed in. There are various ways you can make it from raw linseed, or you can buy it already made from Tried & True Company ($$$). It tends to have a soft, almost sticky feel, and like wax alone it needs maintenance coats. But it ages really nicely, will turn that cherry wood a nice dark color, and if maintained it is wonderfully waterproof.

The BLO from the hardware store is often soy oil with a chemical drier. Linseed has a dark amber color, so if the BLO you buy is clear, its soy. Nothing wrong with it, just forms a finish not much different from Danish oil and many others.

I made a few similar to that once, but I used sliced up wine cork for the fly holders - those strips are a lot nicer :) Looks like a really nicely made box.

You can wax it with paste wax - something like Johnsons, Trewax, or whatever is available. Avoid car waxes for wood applications. However, wax isn't as durable as some desire, you'll have to keep waxing it if you start. It wears off and oxidizes in the sun - oils do too, but more slowly.

You can coat with light coats of an oil finish, tung, linseed, Danish, etc. Heavy coats of drying oil will end up looking like polyurethane, so I like to keep them light. I like a real boiled linseed oil (not the stuff from the hardware store) with some beeswax mixed in. There are various ways you can make it from raw linseed, or you can buy it already made from Tried & True Company ($$$). It tends to have a soft, almost sticky feel, and like wax alone it needs maintenance coats. But it ages really nicely, will turn that cherry wood a nice dark color, and if maintained it is wonderfully waterproof.

The BLO from the hardware store is often soy oil with a chemical drier. Linseed has a dark amber color, so if the BLO you buy is clear, its soy. Nothing wrong with it, just forms a finish not much different from Danish oil and many others.

Thanks for good suggestions