Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
syow25

What type of thread

I'm new to saltwater flies. What type of thread or line do you use for cousers? What would be good for 99% of my salt flies?

thanks

For all of my saltwater flies I use 210 denier Ultra Thread. It is cheap and easy to find. The colors I use most are white, chartreuse, and black.

I use Danville flat waxed for the majority of my flies. I also use it to tie my bucktail jigs because it lies flat to minimize bulk but is very strong. I also use Danville Flymaster and Uni Thread 3/0. I will occasionally use 6/0 on smaller flies.

I suspect that if this thread runs long enough you'll get a recommendation for just about every thread available!

Each thread has different qualities. Some will do a specific job better than others. What I'd do is try a few different ones and settle on one that suits you and your tying style. Also don't just stick to tying threads. Fly tying thread is usually something else that someone has realised would be good for tying. If you are willing to spool your own off a larger spool you can save a fortune. The spool, and getting the thread on to it, usually accounts for more of the selling price than the thread itself.

Cheers,

C.

I suspect that if this thread runs long enough you'll get a recommendation for just about every thread available!

Cheers,

C.

Ain't that the truth! (LOL) IME, the main thing to consider is that you'll probably need a thinner thread for when you want to keep buildup to a minimum (I use 6/0 and 8/0 UNI-thread - it's very strong for its diameter) and a heavier thread for when you want to create more bulk. (I use Danville flat waxed nylon) The brand really isn't all that important as long as long you have something you're comfortable with. I also keep a spool of monofilament thread and a spool of heavier nylon sewing thread on hand. You can pick them up for peanuts at any sewing store or Walmart. The heavy nylon sewing thread is good for building up bodies, etc., and the mono is for when you want to tie something down and keep the thread invisible. If you're new to the salt, it's important to remember that durability is more of an issue than it is in fresh water, regardless of what thread you're using. Be sure to use a good construction cement and a durable head cement or your flies will fall apart pretty quickly.

All of my saltwater fishing/tying buddies use the very same threads they use for their freshwater flies. This is also what we have been doing in our clubs annual fly tying courses, which are now in their 37th year. There is no special thread for the salt!

Cheers.