Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Air brushing barring on streamers

I know a lot of companies are now selling barred materials however, I have so many materials that are solid color. I've used sharpies and they work pretty good but recently after acquiring a Copic Air Marker system, I found I can add barring using the streamers pretty good as well using a hair comb as a mask. Now, some of you geisers that lack turf on top you may have to go buy one special.

Kirk

PatDunlapCopicSm-1.jpg

And only $25 @ overstock.com :D Looks like a great way to spruce up plain old rabbit.

Thanks for another great tip and adding to the clutter on my bench.

I love to add barring to some patterns, really gives an illusion of movement and for some reason looks really good in the water once the materials go all kinda translucent, most awesome with shrimps! Had an issue tho, i usually add it to EP materials but after a day of fishing my barring is completely gone, washed out, washed off, eaten off, anyone else get that issue? Using Black Permanent markers 'sharpies'.

Let us know if that airbush technique works better, i have no idea what i am doing really but this looks fairly simple, i could even use it on my fringe along with a few saddle hackles. :lol:

...Thanks for another great tip and adding to the clutter on my bench.

Not a problem Dave. Its kind of like when you get married, you have to tell your friends how great it is and when you have kids how wonderful that is, hoping they will join the ranks and share...

Jam, I haven't been fished streamers since I got this system a couple months but Pat Dunlap of Cascade, said he used the markers on some materials like krystal flash and other synthetics and left them outside in the sun and weather and he said it took a couple weeks before fading.

Not sure how the ink will hold up in the water with fish. I do know that I've heard people complain about sharpies running after they epoxy a hard bodied bug and that hasn't happened with the Copic marker ink.

I'll have to take these out for a dunk soon and let you know.

Kirk

hahaha, some of us have to fish streamers as we don't have the skills yet to build awesome rabid dogs! And by skills i mean letting the wife know i am turning our little shoebox condo turn into a wood and foam working shop. Yeah let us know how they go, be interested, looks like a neater way to do it too.

i just recently bought a magnum barred rabbit.

i tied a woolhead zonkora with it on a basshook.

you can find the fly on here.

anyways.

after fishing the fly all day most of the barring washed off the store bought rabbit strip.

the barred strips were 3$ more than the unbarred at my local flyshop.

i dont think ill be buying barred anymore so im intrested to hear how well the copic marker stays on after fishing.

Kirk, that's a great idea!! Have you tried them in water yet? I would like to know if the color runs. I've tried permanent markers but they always seem to run.

I'd also like to know if the color runs. If it doesnt it sounds like its worth the purchase. And could you post a recipe or SBS on that baitfish that is second from the top, if you dont mind.

petegray, the flies you tie are incredible. This 1 is very nice looking but it's naturally barred.

Kirk, I have tons of solid color material. I like your idea of using the Copic Air Marker to bring some life to the fly, but if the colors are going to run I will have to pass. So please tell us do the colors run yes or no?

petegray, the flies you tie are incredible. This 1 is very nice looking but it's naturally barred.

Kirk, I have tons of solid color material. I like your idea of using the Copic Air Marker to bring some life to the fly, but if the colors are going to run I will have to pass. So please tell us do the colors run yes or no?

Kirk lives in Louisiana - I'm sure he's currently dealing with the hurricane aftermath.

Hope you are okay Kirk! And i hope the fly shed is still in action!

Hello all,

Everything is okay, no wind or water damage. We were without power for six days, just got it back late Monday night. It actually forced me to tie flies during the daylight hours and get caught up on a few customer orders that have been on my books for months.

I haven't tested the streamers yet, don't fish those much except for in salt and only fish salt a few times a year. I'm currently working on testing with soft and hard bodied bugs, which I can fish in the urban areas where I fish several times a week. I like testing with the chance of catching fish.

So far, I've tested three soft foam bugs. One I colored with a Sharpie, one I colored with the Copic markers and the other I air brushed with the Copic markers. They all started to fade after about thirty minutes and five fish. After eighty minutes of fishing and ten fish caught with about 12 - 18 missed strikes, the two that were colored with the pens faded a little more but retained some color kind of like a stain on wood. The one that was airbrushed faded more than the other two. I have some before pictures but haven't gotten around to photographing the after faded bugs.

My guess is that the synthetic materials colored with markers and not hot dyed, will likely fade as well but you never know. I'll probably tie up some buggars with synthetics and put some barring on them so when I test, I'll have a good chance of catching some bream and small bass. Can't say when that will be as I have dozens of flies I'm working on for customers. The idea of barring with markers isn't new, it is typically done with a Sharpie and a straight edge, just that the airbrushing the barring on is quicker with the hair comb. I am curious and will get around to it, just not sure when.

I wish I made enough money from my job that I could support my hobby but having to support my hobby with income from that hobby is necessary and while it is nice and has benefits, it does get in the way of my much tendency and love of tinkering and experimenting.

Compared to the 11 feet of water I got in my house/neighborhood for Katrina, this wasn't bad. Some people in a few other areas of the state did get some very bad flooding though.

Thanks,

Kirk