Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MowestFlyfisher

Fly tying / Fishing Books

Hey everyone I was just wanting to expand my small library and was wondering what books you would recommend. I mostly tie and fish for warmwater species such as bass, crappie, gills, etc... any help is greatly appreciated.

John

I'd second Oyster Dog's recommendation on the Stewart and Allen book. Also, it might sound nuts to some, but if you do a lot of bass fishing, it might pay to check out some saltwater pattern books. A lot of what the salty guys tie can easily be adapted to warmwater fishing, especially baitfish patterns. Even shrimp patterns can be altered to imitate crayfish. I tie mostly for salt these days, but I've picked up some good ideas in the warm water section, and I'm sure the reverse is true.

Stewart and Allen is quite good, and Peterjay's advice about saltwater pattern is spot on, in my opinion. Oddly enough, there really aren't that many books on warmwater patterns. A quick Amazon search turned up a revised edition of Skip Morris' book called Art of Tying the Bass Fly which I have not read yet, but I've liked everything else Morris has done, so you might want to take a look.

The issue is that warmwater flies are generally considered "basic", so that limits how many books can be written. This site probably has the greatest compilation of bass flies you'll find, but you do have to think outside the box.

I very much agree with Peterjay, but will add that there are other types of flies that lend themselves well to warmwater, particularly bass fishing. I've got copies of both "Trout Flies of the East" & "Trout Flies of the West" and "Inshore Flies" all 3 by Ted Leeson & Jim Schollmeyer, and they all contain flies that are ideal for bass &/or panfish.

I like to use some of the big foam flies for bass that have been developed for western trout rivers, as well as flies such as Intruders & MOAL's that have been tied for Steelhead & Salmon. Never think that just because a pattern has been labeled for a specific species, it won't work for other species as well.

Here's some books that you may find interesting that are warmwater specific. However you'll likely find that most of these cover the same types of flies without much in the way of innovation. That's why I said warmwater flies are basic.

"Bass Flies" by Dick Stewart

"Hot Bass Flies" by Deke Meyer

"Bluegill Fly Fishing & Flies" by Terry & Roxanne Wilson

"Panfish Fly Patterns" by Joe Bruce

"Smallmouth Bass Fly Patterns" by Joe Bruce

Not warmwater specific, but goes well with what I was saying above.

"Tying Foam Flies" by Skip Morris

I will not recommend any certain books but I will lead you to some authors that you should research. Dave Whitlock, Bob Clouser, Lefty Kreh, and the fella that came up with the Gurgler whose name escapes me right now. Streamers by Joe Brooks is worth having in your library as well. It is an old writing but it is a good one. Jack Gartside is the name I could not remember. This is all good stuff and I am surprised none have yet to be mentioned.

Speaking of old books, here's another you may wish to take a look at:

"Fly Tying and Fly Fishing for Bass and Panfish" by Tom Nixon

This was one of the first comprehensive books on the subject, and although a lot of the tying & patterns is now out dated as materials back then were very limited, it's still a wonderful book for history & ideas. Tom was well ahead of his time, and his patterns will still work today. The neat thing is many can be updated with newer materials & still be "something different"! :)

Streamers by Joe Brooks is worth having in your library as well.

Ditz2, I didn't know Joe Brooks wrote a book on streamers, or did you mean Joe Bates? Joe Brooks wrote several books, and they would be worth having regardless.

Joe Bates wrote some notable books, "Streamer Fly Tying & Fishing", "Streamers & Bucktails", and "Atlantic Salmon Flies & Fishing" all have some good information & patterns that can be useful in warmwater fishing.

Thanks for the correction. You are absolutely correct, my bad. Brooks did not sound right when I used it and I should have followed my instincts and checked. It is Joe Bates and I have had the book for years and I still use it for reference.