Fly Tying

P8260057.JPG

Materials Hook- Daiichi 1550 16-24 Thread- Uni 8/0 Light cahlill Tail- Pheasant tail fibers Abdomen- Thread with pheasant tail fibers tied in on top Rib- Tying thread Wing case- Pheasant tail Fibers Thorax- Light yellow u.v. Ice dub Legs(optional)- Pheasant tail fibers

P8260066.JPG

Start the thread near the eye. Run it back a quarter, and back up. Keep repeating and going down the shank a little further each time. This will form a taper. Stop the thread before the barb

P8260065.JPG

Take -6-8 pheasat tail fibers, use less for smaller flies. Measure them to be half the distance of the hook shank, and tie them in on top with two wraps one right on top of the other

P8260064.JPG

Now lift up the pheasant tail and take two touching turns forward on the shank. Then lay the pheasant tail down and take two wraps over it. Continue this until you reach the 3/4 point on the shank

P8260063.JPG

Now dub the thorax, Take a wrap over the pheasant tail fibers forcing them back. Be sure to keep them on top.

P8260062.JPG

Now bring the pheasant tail over the top. Secure it down with two tight turns . Then one tight turn in front of the fibers

P8260061.JPG

Split the remaining fibers to form legs. Sweep them back with your finger and thumb and wrap the thread back over them.

P8260060.JPG

Whip finish. Then take the legs and pull them down to the point of the hook and snip. you can cut them shorter, or if you dont want legs, simple break them off.

P8260059.JPG

The top should look something like this.

P8260058.JPG

And the bottom should look something like this.

P8260057.JPG

Give the top a coating of u.v. light and your bane is ready fish.

What alternate hook can you use for these? I am having a hard time finding the Daiichi 550 hooks, i tied 1 last night using a Tiemco 2457 size 14 and ot came out ok but i would like to see what it looks like using the correct hook.

What alternate hook can you use for these? I am having a hard time finding the Daiichi 550 hooks, i tied 1 last night using a Tiemco 2457 size 14 and ot came out ok but i would like to see what it looks like using the correct hook.

I like to use the daiichi hooks, just cause that is what I like. I have tied this pattern on many different hooks though. Including scud or emerger hooks. But any nymph or dry fly hook will work ;)

Nice fly, Johnny. Have any stories about it like how or why you came up with it? Maybe you can tells us why, when and what fish you pursue with it or perhaps recount a great day you had with the pattern? I'm just a curious guy and I know there's got to be a story behind it or you wouldn't fish it.

P8260057.JPG

I'm assuming you coated the top with something like UV Knotsense and then applied the light to cure? Really nice fly; thanks for posting.

Regards'

Scott

Nice fly, Johnny. Have any stories about it like how or why you came up with it? Maybe you can tells us why, when and what fish you pursue with it or perhaps recount a great day you had with the pattern? I'm just a curious guy and I know there's got to be a story behind it or you wouldn't fish it.

Thank you

I thought of the fly from always tying in tailing material then quickly lashing it down to tie it in. I usually always tie wire ribs in on the way down so this is how I thought of doing the thread rib. I always tied in the tails in such a manner and always thought, well that body looks good. So I twisted a couple of banes up and took them out with me.

My first experience with the fly was on my local limestone stream. The trout were very responsive to it and I had a great day the water so much so that I decided on the flies(technique) name. But i dont consider the trout bane as a single fly but more as a tying technique. I have many different versions of banes that i use in my nymph fishing. A great bane is this one and H.T.P. Bane, both are the top producers amongst the banes for me.

All the best

Johnny

P8260057.JPG

I'm assuming you coated the top with something like UV Knotsense and then applied the light to cure? Really nice fly; thanks for posting.

Regards'

Scott

Thank you scott

You are correct. It a u.v. coating on top. I use both bug bond and loons u.v. clear fly finish.

All the best

Johnny

Thanks everyone and thank for the report on those cuts. I gotta get out that way for some of them. The pattern in various colors has served me well through the years and I am glad to hear it is serving others well.

Jon Joe there is a material list under the first photo.