Fly Tying
Dzura

Nor-vice

I recently saw this vice in action and wanted to know what the general opinion on this vice was I was blown away and wanted to know from a couple of people who have used this vice

You may get a lot of different opinions considering the large forum base, however, I have had a nor-vise for a few years and love it. I use only a fraction of its capabilities, but I find its hook holding power and hook accessibility to be to be at the top of my list. I also like the modular concept of changing heads to meet task requirements to be outstanding (I have tube adaptor and small angled head).

The automatic bobbins are also a great accessory. Just remember, a vise is a lot like a fly rod...personal preference plays a large part of what works for you.

Wouldn't trade mine for anything at this point...but that's just one fat mans opinion :D

BTW, If you call Nor-vise for anything...You will get Norm Norlander, creator of the nor-vise system. He is a fantastic engineer and all around really nice guy.

As with many elements of the sport, fans/owners love it, for everyone else the response is lukewarm to loathing. I have used a Nor-Vice and have never been convinced of the appeal. It can accomplish certain tasks more efficiently than other true rotary vises, but I consider the costs to outweigh the benefits. Norm is a great guy, a talented tier, and a good salesman, but his vise forces the tier to conform to its way of tying, which is contrary to the way I like my tools to behave. YMMV.

I have had my Nor-vise for about 25 years. It is the only vise I use. Yes, there were some adjustments to be learned in the way I did certain patterns, but not of them seemed to be too hard. I use the standard set of jaws and the fine point jaws. The standard jaws hold hooks up to 3/0 without any problem. I only switch to the fine point jaws when I start doing a lot of small flies (under size 20.)

Yes there are times when I use the vise like a "conventional" vise. I don't ALWAYS spin the vise to apply thread or wind other materials. I do however find plenty of times when I both rotate and spin the vise. Since my D H Thompson is still going strong after more than 60 years, I will let you know about the overall quality of the Nor-vise in another 35 years. I have no doubt that it will out last me.

I don't think a general opinion on a vise is possible. The Nor Vise has been my go to for several years now and I have never regretted the purchase. It is a top quality product, made in America, and Norm gives unbelievable customer support. I also think the price is very reasonable considering what you get. If you like it, you will love it, but unfortunately the only way to know for certain is to try tying on one.

I got mine about a year ago and it's gradually become my primary vise. I guess it grows on you. There is still a lot for me to learn as far as the more "specialized" techniques, but all that aside it's just a really comfortable platform to tie on. It cost twice as much as my Peak rotary but I don't regret the purchase for a moment, even though I have yet to really learn all the ins and outs. I guess that just means there are a few more years of discovery ahead of me :)

Problem is I can't demo one unless I buy one

See if there are any upcomming symposiums or conclaves in your area or find a local club. There might be a tier who has a Nor-vise you could try.

I've had my Nor-Vise now probably 5 years. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. It seems like you either love them or hate them, not to many people in between.

i first saw norm norlander at one of the fly fishing/tying shows in the denver area in the year when the norvise was being introduced to the public and norm is the only one there who truly knows the ins and outs of his vise and made it look so easy to do things like wind thread, apply dubbing and wrap a hackle with it that everybody wanted one and expected to tie flies just like norm did when they got home and set it up. i liked what i saw and almost ready to hop onto his wagon until i realized that there were no fly shops in the are that carried his brand for the purpose of trying it out for myself. it was expensive back then and still is today. todays version has most likely been improved since those early vises and many attachments have been added also. the website show numerous videos of tying techniques that with a little forethought and experimentation can/may be achieved (and some techniques may not) with many other vises on the market. (imho. at least it think i can)

i finally realized that my tying skills at that time did not require me to wrap thread, apply dubbing and wrap a hackle at the speed of light.

some tyers have said you either love or hate it. that seems to be the sentiment on most forums when asked about the norvise.

the only way to know if its right for you is to try one for yourself. borrow one, try one out at a fly tying expo BEFORE you buy one. attend fly tying group meetings if available in your area etc